Early Kentucky Settlements


Bailey’s Station, in Mason County, about 2.5 miles south of Maysville, and one mile from Washington; settled in 1791. 

Bosley’s station .75 miles above the main fork of Wells’ Creek near Washington, Mason County; before 1793. 

Buchnanan’s Station, 1 mile west of Germantown, Bracken Co., where Geo. Humlong recently lived (1874); 

Byne’s Station, settled by Edmund Byne, on North Fork, in Mason County. 

Campbell’s station, on the Dry ridge, in nw Grant County, 3 miles north of Williamstown and 33 miles from the mouth of the Licking; settled sometime before 1792. 

Cassidy’s Station, in Mason County; settled in 1785. 

Curtis’ Station, in Mason County (see p. 555, V. II, Collins [his note] 

Feagans’ Stations, in Mason County, 1.5 of 2 miles east of Germantown. 

Fox’s (Arthur) Station; same as Washington. 

Grant’s Lick, in Campbell County, 5 miles from Alexandria, on road to Falmouth; salt made there before 1800. 

Kenton’s Station, 3 miles south of Limestone, now Maysville, and 1 mile north of Washington, in Mason County; settled by Simon Kenton, in 1784. 

Kenton’s (John) Station, half mile southeast of Washington, Mason County. 

Kenton’s (Simon) Station, several blockhouses built by Simon Kenton, who brought to them from Pennsylvania his father’s family, and remained with them until July, 1794. 

Leach’s station, Brocken County. 

Lee’s station, in Mason County, between Maysville and Washington; settled by Gen. Henry Lee, in 1785, and still (1874) the home of his descendants. 

Leitch’s Station, about 6 miles above the mouth of the Licking, on the east bank, now Campbell county; settled in 1790 by Maj. David Leitch (after whom Lietchfield, Grayson County, was named.) 

Littell’s Station, in Pendleton County, on Fork Lick, a west branch of the South Licking, into which it empties just below Callensville, or Morgan, on the Kentucky Central Railroad. 

Littell’s Station, now the site of Williamstown, Grant County; settled before 1792. 

May’s Lick Settlement, at Mayslick, Mason County, east of Washington. 

Limestone (Maysville) on the Ohio river at the mouth of Limestone Creek,  Mason County;  blockhouse built by Edward Waller, John Waller and George Lewis, of Virginia. 

McKinley’s Block House on the old Buffalo Trace south of Washington, in Mason County, where David Hunter lived in 1873; built by Js. McKinley in 1785. 

Mefford’s (Geo.) Station, 2.5 miles south of Maysville, Mason County; 1785. 

Port William, now Carrollton in Carroll County, at mouth of Kentucky River; lid out in 1792; a block house built in 1786-1787 by Captain Elliston. 

Tanner’s Station, where Petersburg now is, in Boone County; 1785. 

Taylor Creek Station was probably in Campbell County, on Taylor’s Creek.  the Cincinnati Sentinel of the North-west, March 12, 1796, says John Campbell lived here. 

Waring’s Station, in Mason County, nearly 2 miles from Maysville, a short distance west of the Lexington turnpike; settled, February, 1785, by Col. Thos. Waring 

Washington, in Mason County, 3 ½ miles southeast of Maysville; settled by Simon Kenton in 1784; laid out s  town in 1786, by Rev. Wm. Wood and Arthur Fox , sen.  

Wells’ Station in west part of mason County; 

Whaley’s Station, in Mason County.


from Judge Charles Kerr’s History of Kentucky, 1922