Bullittsburg Baptist, 1930
Kentucky Progress ran this history of the church.
The obituary of Elder Robert Edward Kirtley, son of Elder Robert Kirtley, is here. (pdf)
|Bullittsville and Bullittsburg are two different places, about three miles apart. Bullittsville used to have a post office, and was originally named Corneliusville, and after that, Mitchellsville. It became Bullittsville in 1853. It's about three miles due east of Idlewild. Bullittsburg is about a mile north of Idlewild. There was once a town laid out, by Cave Johnson, named Bullitsburg, in what is today known as North Bend Bottoms, but no town ever occupied the site. (But the widow of Zebulon Pike, of Pike's Peak fame, did.) Idlewild was originally a village called Gainesville, probably because of the number of people named Gaines in the area.|
|But in 1806-1810, Bullitsburg had a school. Here is a remarkable list of the pupils of Goss and Henderson at the Bullitsburg Meeting House for those years.|
|Bullittsville Christian Church||Bullittsville Christian Church,
a sketch by Caroline Williams
The History of the Bullittsville Christian Church, here. (pdf)
Bullitsville Christian was at one time served by a preacher named Edgar Dewitt Jones (Wikipedia) who also write novels. Here's a review of his Fairhope, which is about the Bullittsville Church. You can buy one online pretty cheap.
C. S. Balsy's Store, Bullittsville. 1903
|“R. S. Strader’s training and fine stock farm at this point [Bullitsville] is probably doing more good to the farming community than anything that could possibly have been started here. There is a half-mile track on the farm, the most complete thing of its kind in the western country. The curves are so graded that a young horse will never try to change his foot. I have not got time to describe the many fine animals that fill his stable.” from Covington’s Saturday Advertiser, March 31, 1873.|
|Belmont||Burlington||Cassius M. Clay, Jr.||Draco||Planet|
Some of Col. Strader's stallions, several of whom are referred to in the items below.
|Col. R. S. Strader not only bred and raced trotting horses, he seems to have made some serious money at it. At a time when $1 was the equal of $20 today, he was selling horses for thousands. He also made a pretty good PR man, too: We found at least four (!) feature articles on his farm from the 1870-1875 period:|
|Looking Toward Saylor Park, Ohio||Colored Public School in Idlewild|
Gaines Home in Idlewild
a drawing by Caroline Williams
Scothorn Motors, Idlewild
|Top end of Bullitsville Road, c. 1967. That's the airport in the far upper left. From a Facebook post by Jess Ensminger||Idlewild, From a Facebook post by Herbert Ginn
The Old Scothorn House on Rt. 20, c. 1930
|The Watts House (pdf) is on the National Register of Historic Places.|
You can see 7 pictures of the Vick Farm in Idlewild at the Library of Congress site, here.
|Sugar Grove, in Bullitsburg Bottom, and home to famous names, here.||Mt. Pleasant Church remembered, here.|
|The ladies in Bullitsville put on this tableaux, the newspaper coverage of which would indicate that it was a wonderful, enjoyable experience. Sounds painful to us|