|Tollhouse on the Petersburg
Road, circa 1910.
Boone Co “freed” the Burlington-
Petersburg Pike in 1918
|Crisler's Blacksmith Shop
NE corner of Torrid and Jefferson
(where the Little Place is)
Peoples Deposit Bank, on Jefferson Street
Peoples Bank Remodels Interior
Boone County Deposit Bank and old Recorder Office
|Peoples Deposit Bank, Burlington, 1928||Boone Co Deposit Bank, 1903|
| J. C. Revill, Cashier, Organizer
Boone County Deposit Bank
|G. S. Kelly, Burlington
|Opening Day for Boone County Deposit Bank, 1925||from the left, L. C. Beemon, Miss Nell H. Martin, Galen S. Kelly, A. B. Renaker, Carroll Cropper|
A few words on the history of the Peoples Deposit Bank, from 1930, are here.
|There were two Burlington Banks. Boone County Deposit Bank began in August, 1885; there's a pic above. Peoples Deposit began November 5, 1905, in the Jefferson Street building above. The building now across from the old court house, identified above as Peoples Deposit and as Boone County Deposit, was built by the Boone County Bank, in 1925. The Boone County Deposit Bank sold all of it's assets, including the building, to Peoples, in January, 1927. Peoples sold to Huntington. Huntington will sell to . . .|
Riddell & Crisler's Store, Burlington, 1903
|Burlington Lumber &
Builder's Supply, 1961
|Calvin Cress & Sons,
Rt. 18, Burlington, 1959
Les McBee's Service Station, c. 1955. That's W. L. “Les” or “Mac” McBee and his wife Lois.
The station opened in 1936, and was torn down for the highway widening in 1971.
The color image is from a Facebook post by Barbara Nutini.
There's a profusely illustrated history book on Burlington, in
the Arcadia Images of America Series. You can buy it
from Amazon at the link below: