Florence Deposit Bank
In 1955, they left this location and opened a new office on Dixie Highway
|“Florence, Ky., Nov. 8 - Five well-heeled cracksmen dashed into the city this after midnight in an automobile and dynamited the safe in the Florence Deposit bank, partially wrecking the building. After firing shots at Citizens who rushed to the bank, they escaped. No money was secured. One robber wore a silk hat.” from the Paducah Evening Sun, November 8, 1907|
A longer version of this bank robbery story is here.
|The Odd Fellows Hall
Main and Youell
|The Old Florence School|
|The Toll House on Burlington
Pike near Florence
|Tollgate on what is now
Dixie Highway, near what
is now Goodridge Avenue
|The Toll House on
Tanners Lane in Florence
|272 Main Street, Florence||Arnold's Soda Fountain and
Candy Store, circa 1914
|Florence School, c. 1910||Florence School District #8, and
Professor A. M. Yealey, Principal
Courtesy Kentucky Historical Society.
Visit history.ky.gov regarding rights
|Pleasant Ridge School
NW corner of US 42
& Hopeful Road
|Old Stringtown School
southwest corner of Main
Street & Dortha
Prof. A. M. Yealey's history of Florence schools is here. (pdf)
Frank Leslie's Popular Monthly, a
popular magazine at the turn of the last century, ran
a feature on Lloyd's novel Stringtown on the Pike, and included these pics. They're likely
Florence, and likely taken by Mrs. Lloyd.
Florence Marathon, 1969
US 42 and Pleasant Valley
Florence Mall, est. 1976
Why does the water tower say “Mall” and not “Y'All?” And why was it changed? Because the Highway Beautification Act of 1965 put regulations on advertising done along highways, and, according to Diana Whalen, Florence Mayor, and daughter of Hop Ewing (a previous mayor, whose idea it was to paint the legs of the M and add an apostrophe), “You couldn't advertise a nonexistent entity.” The tower was up before the mall opened.
Boone County High School
Built in 1953, it cited 1220 students as of this postcard.
BCHS was formed from four county high schools: Burlington, Florence, Hebron, and New Haven.
The sports teams are named the Rebels because . . . explanation here.
Highland Stock Farm
|Our guess is that this barn is the
same as the one to the left. Looking
south on Dixie. Maybe.
Kentucky Automobile and Carriage Company
Pike and Shelby Streets, Florence, Kentucky
(in which you can see the famous chickens crossing the road!)
(Thanks! to Tom Bakes for the image)
Florence's Bradford Brothers
Walter Scott Farm on Price Pike
drawing by Caroline Williams
Latonia Race Track, Florence Kentucky, 1962
(far right is c. 1980)
later named Turfway Park
Barry B. Good runs in the Autumn Stakes at Turfway, 1968.
Aerial of Florence
Aerial View, looking south,
|“Cincinnati, Nov. 3 - The dry goods store of Tobie & Myers, at Florence, Ky., about eight miles back of Covington, was robbed of $2,000 worth of flannels, jeans, blankets, ribbons and other goods last night. The thieves evidently used wagons to carry away their plunder. There is very little clew at this hour. The police authorities at Erlanger were notified, and also the chief of police at Cincinnati. The firm has offered a liberal reward for the capture of the thieves and the return of the goods. This is the biggest robbery that has taken place at Florence for some years.” from Maysville's Evening Bulletin, November 3, 1888|
|Fire! in Florence, 1870. Read accounts of it, here.||“John E. Walton, Florence, Ky., a large land owner and the wealthiest man in Boone County, is here, attending the fair here.”from Maysville's Evening Bulletin, October 3, 1891|
|In the 19th century, before mass communications, it was common to hold mass meetings for political candidates. These generally consisted of hour after hour of long speeches, and were widely attended. Thousands of people at one was common. Here's an example from Florence.|
|A description of Florence from 1913 is here.||Story of a Cincinnati man who was kidnapped in Newport and taken to Florence for flogging in 1917, here.|
|Vice-President's remarks in Florence are challenged, here.||Florence mob nearly lynches Union soldier, here.|
|Florence lobbied for the streetcar to extend on from Erlanger.|
|Lucille W. Jones' History of Stringtown on the Pike is here. (pdf)||The four oldest houses in Florence are identified here.|
|“Florence, Boone county, has a population of three hundred and forty souls. Samuel Lindsey is the oldest inhabitant, having resided there since 1834.” from Covington's The Ticket, 4-8-1876||“Florence - And now we are made happy by the presence of a new establishment in the shape of a tinshop, the proprietors of the same celebrating their advent by getting gloriously drunk.”from Covington's Daily Commonwealth, July 15, 1879|
An older poetic tribute to Stringtown on the Pike.
Author unknown. It's not complimentary.
|“Military Arrests - Dr. John Delaney and Spencer Fish, citizens of Florence, Boone County, Ky., were arrested yesterday on the charge of disloyalty. The latter subsequently escaped from those who had him in charge, and his wife was taken hostage for his return.” from the Cincinnati Enquirer, August 9, 1864|
|“Florence has taken another gigantic stride in her march toward fame, and can now be credited as the first place in Boone, and probably the first in the State, where a jury of "free Americans of African descent" had been organized ad an instrument of administering justice. In Esquire Clutterback's court, last Monday, was where this unusual scene occurred, and it was occasioned by the trial of of a brace of Negro men, who, on Sunday, imbibed too freely of fighting whiskey which developed its fighting qualities near the church in Florence where a colored congregation was engaged in worship. The jury convicted and fined one of the defendants $70 and the other $35.” The Boone County Recorder, June 12, 1879.|
|Florence was never actually named Stringtown - that's John Uri Lloyd's fictional name. Before it was named Florence, various names used included Polecat, PowWow, Maddentown, Connersville. It's been Florence since April 27, 1830. You can read that it's named after Jacob Connor's wife, Florence, except his wife's name was Suzannah. The desire was to name it Connersville, but the name had already been taken by another town, elsewhere in Kentucky. There is a real Stringtown in Boone County, see here.|
We are so confused. . . Florence became an official town on April 27, 1830. It expanded it's boundaries on February 28, 1842. But in 1856, the town ceased being an official town. It became an official town again on February 17, 1860, and ceased being a town on March 1, 1860. On February 6, 1861, the 1860 authorization act was revived and amended, but on May 23, 1865, their authorization is again repealed.