Frieburg and Workum's Boone County Distillery
The Distillery sold for $500,000 in 1899. Story here.
|The Courier-Journal noted (April 25, 1909) that if prohibition should happen, Petersburg's Boone County Distillery would close, eliminating 58 jobs, and an annual payroll of $34,250. They would not buy 186,000 bushels of grain from farmers, and not pay $2,550 in state and local tax revenue.|
Distillery, in the Flood of 1907
image on right is 1903; identifications are here.
The Levi J. Workum, a.k.a. The
Seen docked here at Cincinnati, the Levi J. Workum was used to regularly
transport whiskey from Petersburg to Cincinnati. Note the barrels on the landing.
The following is the tax paid by distillers in the Sixth (Covington) District of Kentucky during the month of
|Boone County Distilling Co., Petersburg||$ 59,848.20|
|G. W. Robson, Jr., & Co., Finchtown||$ 45,795.60|
|Dorsel & Wulftange, Covington||$ 37,963.80|
|Willow Run Distilling Co., Covington||$ 36,323.10|
|Andrew W. Darling, Carrollton||$ 6,557.40|
|C. B. Cook & Co., Cynthiana||$ 3,801.60|
|Kenton Distilling Co., Covington||$ 3,137.40|
|Samuel Fearn, Jr. Milton||$ 1,590.30|
|James H. Gray, Cynthiana||$ 195.30|
|“The plant of the Boone County Distilling Company, at Petersburg, the largest distillery in the Sixth Kentucky District, will soon be a thing of the past. The plant, which is now owned by the Trust, will be dismantled and further operations will cease. Including the cattle pens, the plant covers fourteen acres of ground. There are now some 30,000 barrels of whiskey in storage, which is being taken out at a rate of 300 barrels a week. Thomas H. Matthews, who has been superintendent of the place for years, will be sent to New York, where he will take charge of the large distribution houses.” Warsaw Independent, May 24, 1902|
“Brick of the Boone County Distillery at Petersburg, Ky., is being used to build a church in that city, according to dispatches received in Covington.
“Some of the brick of the distillery also was used in the erection of the Odd Fellows' Temple and high school at St. [sic] Petersburg.” from the Courier-Journal, May 30,1920