Bike Club in front of Jones Drugstore
Building to the left (north) of the old Phoenix hotel was, at various
times, a Creamery, Feed Store and Movie Theatre
you're looking across Main from what was Kentucky Auto Parts
|The first Krogers in Walton burned in 1935.
It was directly across from the Dixie State Bank Building.
Fire destroys much of central Walton in 1971, here.
Powers Conrad's Hardware Store
Edwards Hardware, across the street from, and much earlier than
Powers Conrad's store, above. Edwards also made and sold buggies.
|Boone County Chevrolet, 1930||Marvin & Marie Kendall|
In 1930, they sold 500 cars a year. Read more, here.
Ollie Ballard's Barber Shop
Presser's Grocery Store, 1970
from the left, that's Jean Webb, Sharon Duncan, Eloise Hartman, and Helen Code Renaker
Interior, Dixie State Bank
|“Modern” Dixie State Bank Check||Walton Bank and
|Walton Perpetual Building & Loan Association|
This later day ugliness was earlier the Walton Post Office.
Dr. Waller's office ( previously the Post Office, earlier still the original
Dixie State Bank), is on the left, Stephens Restaurant was on the right.
This building, south of the Bank, was a bar
and liquor store
under several owners, including Bob and Jo Stephenson. When torn down, they
found it had earlier been the Walton Bank and Trust Company, 1897
(see sign, below).
Carved Stone on top of former Walton Bank and Trust Co.
|The Walton Deposit Bank History, from 1903, is here.||Walton Deposit Bank robbed, 1903, here.|
|In 1933 Walton Equitable called on its shareholders to come up with cash, equal to the par value of shares they already owned. It hit the courts, but the bank was upheld. More than you likely wanted to know about it is here.|
Walton Deposit Bank and Walton Equitable merged in February, 1929. The Depression saw this merged bank go under and taken over by Dixie State Bank on July 6, 1936. Dixie had opened it's doors on February 27, 1928.
The building you are apt to know as Dixie State (15 N. Main) was originally the Walton Equitable Building. The original Dixie State Bank building is further south on Main Street, on the east side of the street. Both were built by noted area builders George P. Nicholson & Sons. Read more about it here.
|“Wilford Rice, president of Equitable Bank of Walton, Ky., named in six indictments, four charging embezzlement.” New York Evening Post, December 26, 1931|
|Walton banker and his wife were in Boone County's most infamous lunacy trial. The Enquirer's coverage from 1909:
January 2, January 4, January 8, January 9, January 11, January 15, February 8
|Walton Equitable had a fire in 1929, which you can read about here.||The Walton Equitable Bank history, from 1930, is here. Grand Opening here.|
Inside Stephens Restaurant
The waitress on the far left is Helen Gillespie later Mrs. Nick Welsh. The couple at the table are Rev. Jack and Jewel Irvin. Photo by Cameron Brakefield.
When torn down, it was discovered that it was an
old log cabin. On Main, across from Depot Street.
|Main Street Scene, 1939
||West Side of Main
||Preston and Pat Art's
Boone County Drugs
|Cliff Ryan's Hardware and Dry
Goods, 1949. Believe to be Jack
Berkshire on the sidewalk.
|Elliot's Hardware Store,
c 1940's. Benny Elliot's first
store was in Bracht
|Walton, Ky., - The Consolidated Telephone Company of Walton, Kentucky, of which W. G. Black is general manager, is re-building the telephone lines and establishing a trunk line, metallic circuit, between Walton and Warsaw. This will, when completed, connect this territory by long-distance service with Louisville and Cincinnati. Mr. Black announces that he will rebuild all of the lines of the Gallatin County Telephone Company, which he recently purchased from Harold Brown, and make his system of the best.” From Telephony, Vol. 59, 1910, p. 471.||“COVINGTON— Word was received here that masked “night riders” fired the barn owned by William Ramsley in the center of Walton, Boone county. The barn contained 65,000 pounds of tobacco belonging to Noah Glasscock, a farmer. The Continental Tobacco company, it is said, had made a bid for the tobacco. Coal oil was thrown over the building, and several citizens claim they 'saw masked men ride rapidly away on horseback.” Los Angeles Herald, Volume 35, Number 10, 12 October 1907|
The newspaper The Walton Observer published its last issue in December of 1893. There are no known extant copies of any of the issues.
|Claude Powers defends his store, here.|