Walton Lumber Company
west of the railroad, on Depot/Park
Thanks to Barbara Groger Keller for the truck picture.
Calender Blacksmith Shop
looking east from main on Locust
|Boone County Recorder, June 12, 1919|
The Walton Advertiser Building, 1930
Across the Southern RR on High St., first building on left.
Read about the Advertiser's beginnings, here.
Walton Canning Company, c. 1904
The Cannery drilled for water, but found gas - story here.
|“The Walton Canning Factory at Walton, Ky., located on the Walton-Nicholson Highway is owned by R. B. St. Clair, who owns a chain of canneries throughout the state. The daily output of the factory is two [railroad] cars of canned tomatoes. One hundred persons are employed during the day and 60 are employed on the night shift.” The Kentucky Post, October 2, 1932|
Yet another story about the cannery is here.
The Q. & C. Depot, Walton,
on Locust Street, on what was later the Southern Railway, and is now the Norfolk Southern Railroad,
The Q & C was the Queen and Crescent, from Cincinnati to New Orleans, also known as
The C.N.O. & T.P. - The Cincinnati, New Orleans and Texas Pacific.
The brawl there in 1906.
|“The eighteenth mile of the Cincinnati Southern railroad from the Ohio river was completed on Saturday evening, which brings the road to a point where it crosses the Short-line. [L&N]” Courier-Journal, July 19, 1876|
|“The last rail was laid on the Louisville, Lexington, & Cincinnati Branch Railroad, at McCoy's Forks, about three miles west of Walton, Boone county, Kentucky. The road will be open to the public in a week or two. The distance, by this route, from Covington to Louisville is but 104 miles.” Western Christian Advocate, April 21, 1869|
|“The new depot and stock-pens on the Southern road at this point [Walton] are completed and Mr. C. M. Carlisle has the honor of the first shipment of stock from here. The depot building is a first-class structure, large and commodious, with an elegant finish. The side-track at the depot is now necessary for the convenience of permanent business.” The Commonwealth, a Covington newspaper, November 7, 1877.|
L & N Depot,
|The L & N Depot, Walton
(behind the Walton Equitable / Dixie State / Kentucky
National / Star / Firstar Bank / US Bank)
|“The last rail was laid on the Louisville, Lexington & Cincinnati Branch Railroad, April 17th, at McCoy's Forks, about three miles west of Walton, Boone county, Kentucky. The road will be open to the public in a week or two. The distance, by this route, from Covington to Louisville, is but 104 miles.” Western Christian Advocate, April 21, 1869||Walton and Verona's L&N schedule from April, 1879.|
|“The Walton Stockyards enjoyed a large crowd at its formal opening Tuesday of last week. The stockyards is located on the former cite of the CCC Camp, Alta Vista Avenue.” Boone County Recorder, September 7, 1944|
|Just because the L&N tells you they're going to stop near Walton, doesn't mean they will.|
|Timetable for the L&N at Walton, 1879, here.||
Attempts to wreck a passing train fail in 1889, here.
Read about a train wreck in Walton, from 1906, here.
What little we know about Walton's own Electric Company is here.