Walton VFD fights a 1921 fire in Burlington
Walton Fire Department,
This new Mack Fire Truck
Walton Fire Department, 1936
A list of the folks in the picture is here.
The history of the Walton Volunteer Fire Department is here.
“The people of Walton have purchased a fire engine, and will
be prepared to fight fire hereafter.”
from Maysville's Daily Public Ledger, September 28, 1897
Dedication of the New Post Office, March 3, 1963. Read more here.
Wilford Rice writes a history of the Walton Post office for the occasion.
Here's the kitchen staff and the kitchen at the old Walton C.C.C. Camp, located where WVHS is
these days at the end of Alta Vista, before School Road existed.
Walton's was Camp Bean Ridge, and was established July 17, 1935 to
do soil conservation.
To find out more about what a C.C.C. camp was, try this site.
| “Walton. The Post office at this place has been moved to Carley's store, and is
under the supervision of S. L. Edwards. Several parties have
applied for appointment of Postmaster, the present incumbent
included. We suppose he will secure the appointment, having all the
from Covington's Daily Commonwealth, March 13, 1879. The writer is being sarcastic - the postmaster was a political appointment in this era, and the incumbent was a sure thing for appointment, that being the “necessary qualification.”
Crime spree hits the post office. Twice.
|Jack Rouse built the tank, did the lettering, and took the picture.||Walton VFD, c. 1960
|Walton Police Force, 1939|
|from Facebook posts by Marybeth Rouse Arthur|
|City Hall / Fire Station||Walton Engine 303
1959 Mack B95
Greg Stapleton, photo
Richland Court Water Tower
Walton City Council, 1954
|from the left, seated: Malcolm Simpson, councilman; R. M. “Coke” Hall, mayor; James W. Spencer, councilman. back row: A. D. Yelton, city attorney; Herman Simmons, police chief; C. W. Hoffman, city clerk; Powers Conrad and John Hartman, councilman; John E. Stephenson, water works superintendent; C. G. Worthington, police judge; and Leon B. Hall, councilman. Gayle McElroy, councilman, and Edith Stephenson, tax collector were not present. Photo by Post's Jack Pille.|
Walton incorporated as an official city in 1854. Read the Act here.
Walton incorporated as an official city in 1870. Read the Act here.
Why did the town incorporate twice? No idea.