Hughes Chapel Church
The Hughes Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South, located at Beaver Lick, Ky., was organized in 1878 by Rev. Geo Buffington, a local preacher. The first building was a grange hall purchased from the grangers by J. C. Hughes, Sr. Several of the early members came from the Mt. Zion Methodist Church. The old church was the scene of many revivals.
The present building was built by Rev. George Froh in memory of Joseph C. Hughes, Sr., and dedicated by Bishop Kavanaugh in August 1883. The parsonage was built about 1900.
Hughes Chapel was first put on the Petersburg circuit, then changed to the Walton circuit, and finally was put with Big Bone and called Hughes Chapel Circuit.
This circuit has been served by such men as George Hoffman, T. W. Barker, George Prentis, Heber Wrightman, Edward Mann, N. Hall, D. B. Cooper, C. S. Criswell, C. A. Tague, O. S. Duvall, Harry Mills, C., P. Pilow, James M. Baker, J. W. Parish.
The present pastor is Orin M. Simmerman, a native of Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Feeling the call to preach he moved to Kentucky in 924 and spent five years in preparatory work t Asbury College, Wilmore, Kentucky. His wife was formerly Miss Pearl Ford, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Martin Ford of Guernsey County, Ohio. They have five children and live in the parsonage at Beaver Lick, Kentucky.
From the 1930 Historical Edition of the Boone County Recorder