foster, kentucky

Foster, Kentucky Foster, Kentucky

A View of the C & O R.R.
and Ohio River, 1907

Aerial View of Foster


 

Foster, Kentucky 

On the C&O in Foster.  Note the upside down steam engine in the creek.
from a Facebook post by the Augusta Kentucky Historic District

 

Foster, Kentucky Foster, Kentucky
Main Street A view of the Hill Tops

A big thanks to Ronald Dunn and  Janet Costigan for these two of Foster!

 

Foster, Kentucky Foster, Kentucky

The Foster Pike

The Odd Fellows Cemetery

bracken line

Foster, Kentucky

Foster Bank

Foster State Bank Closes, the story is here.

 

Foster, Kentucky Foster, Kentucky
This is Captain Anthony Meldahl, for whom the Meldahl Locks and Dam are named.  The steamer is the Cayuga, which bore  Capt. Meldahl to his grave, in Neville, across the Ohio from Foster.  Read more in this article(pdf)

bracken line

A few words on the history of the Neville- Foster ferry are here.

Reuben Gold Thwaites dropped by Foster in 1898.  He wasn't impressed.  Read it here.

  The world's record for the largest channel catfish, since eclipsed, was set by C. L. Stanley, of Foster, in 1924.  He caught his 28-pound prize using chicken liver. The Illinois was “a picture-show boat owned and operated by Tom J. Reynolds, 1913-1916.  Seated 200.  Ohio River system.  Burned in 1916 at Foster, Kentucky.” from Philip Graham's Showboats: The History of an American Institution, 1951
Locomotive explodes in Foster, 1899, details here. “On the 13th inst., at Butler, a [baseball] match game was played between the Red Jackets, of Foster, Ky., and the Larks, of Butler, Ky. The rain ended the game at the seventh inning. Score: Larks, 72; Red Jackets, 37.” Cincinnati Enquirer, August 16, 1870
Camp Comar was a prison camp in Foster. You can read the day 1 and day 2 stories of a prisoner escape from there.
“Professor E. Leon, the tight-rope walker, gave a performance at Foster last Thursday. He next visits Moscow and New Richmond, Ohio, and will be at Cincinnati the Fourth of July to act some of his wonderful feats on a rope stretched from two piers of the Suspension Bridge.” Cincinnati Enquirer, June 30, 1877
Before the dams, ice in the river could be a major problem, illustrated by the 1904 ice jam at Foster. The News from Foster, 1879, here.

Foster dairy farmers protest; seems their milk is too warm when it gets to Cincinnati. Here.

In 1920, the pioneers of Foster hold a reunion.  Story's here.

Foster's James R. Quaid, who died in 1906, had been a member of Teddy Roosevelt's Rough Riders (Wikipedia) at San Juan Hill. More about him is here.

The steam boat Hornet capsized near Foster in 1832.
You can read about it at this site.

“Foster, Ky., The Union schoolhouse, located four miles from here, was destroyed by fire last night. As to the origin of it no one can tell, but is supposed to be the work of an incendiary. The building was valued at $500 and is a total loss.”  from Covington's The Daily Commonwealth, November 5, 1883 The name Foster comes from Israel Foster, a Bracken County farmer.  After the Civil War, he donated land for two churches - a “Northern” and a “Southern” Methodist Church.  The Northern version was closed, and in 1880 they consolidated into a single church.

Foster's wharf boat was wrecked in the flood of 1884.  The following winter, ice ground it up, and it floated away.

The court order which decreed Foster was no longer an official town was issued on February 26, 1999.  Read the story here.  (pdf)

Mastodon bones found near Foster in 1876.  Story is here. You can read about the 15 foot snake they found in Foster, in 1880, here.

bracken line

Foster, Kentucky 

Notice that the town 4 miles upstream from Moscow, Ohio, is a place called "Mechanicsburg"
in this steamboat distance chart from 1855's The Western Tourist and Emigrant's Guide.
An earlier name for Foster?

 

Foster, Kentucky Foster, Kentucky

How you build a railroad,
in 1883

Bold's Cash Store,
1901, Foster

 bracken line