Kentucky's Oldest and Largest Brewery
|John Butcher's Jefferson Street Brewery|
George Wiedemann entered the brewing business on August 8, 1870, when he became a partner with John Butcher's Jefferson Street Brewery. They employed 17 people and produced 3500 barrels of beer a year. Wiedemann bought out Butcher on September 24, 1878, and incorporated The George Wiedemann Brewing Company on March 17, 1890. On August 1, 1967, Wiedemann sells to G. Heileman Brewing of LaCross, Wisconsin, which announced on March 30, 1983 that the facilities would shut down.
The Geo. Wiedemann Brewing Company
|Aerial Views of Wiedemann's||The Geo. Wiedemann Brewing Co.||Royal Amber Champagne Beer||Aerial Views of Wiedemann's|
|Interior of Wiedemann's,
capacity 325,000 bottles daily
|Wiedemann's, 1890||The Wiedemann Brewery, Newport, 1913|
A short history of Wiedemann's is here.
A 1909 description of Wiedemann is here.
|Butscher & Wiedemann crew
||Johann Butscher (Butcher), who started the Jefferson Street Brewery around 1866 and later became a partner with Geo. Wiedemann.|
|Thanks to Butscher's great-, great- granddaughter Victoria Butcher Lockwood for these.|
Street View from 1956
|The Wiedemann House is on the National Register of Historic Places. The application (pdf) contains lots of images, history, and architectural details. From 1984.|
|Home of 150 Horses at the
Thanks to Nancy and Dennis Hanseman for this image.
|This is Pete Hartig, driving the
Wiedemann wagon with Rex, Ace,
and Duke in a Covington parade.
Thanks to Doug Studer for this one!
|Wiedemann's Wagon, 1944
from a Facebook post by Linda Schilling Mitchell
Wiedemann's stables included a horse hospital. They didn't completely discontinue their use of horses until 1947.
|Das Deutsche Gast Haus,
|Die Deutsche Bierstube for
Wiedemann Malt House
A malt house is a building where cereal grain is converted into malt by
soaking it in water, allowing it to sprout and then drying it to stop further growth.
|c. 1920||From a Facebook post by Tom Fahlbusch|
|Wiedemann Baseball Stadium
Opened May 17, 1908
|In the 1937 Flood
from Facebook posts by Cam Miller
|The team played at their park at 10th and Lowell|
|The Reds played the Wiedemann team on August 12, 1908. The Reds pitcher was Hall-of-Famer Noodles Hahn, and the Reds won. Stories from Facebook posts by Cam Miller, are here, here, and here.|
|Wiedemann Baseball Team October 9, 1907.||1909|
|“To Mr. Chester Stockum, 8 + Doolittle Sts, Carnegie, Pa., Dear Brother, Aunt Barb did not get here yet, and when she does we will let you know. Mama and Papa went to see these men play Sunday. The Covingtons beat them. 5 to 3 favor of the Covingtons. From your loving sister. Mamie.”||
From a Facebook post by Jim Deaton
|Gents on a Wiedemann Wagon||Wiedemann Wagon, 1944
From a Facebook post by Linda Schilling Mitchell
|From a Facebook posts by Carole Goetz|
| Wiedemann Trucks, unknown date
|This is one of Wiedemann's
“new” trucks. 1954
|Wiedemann truck from the 1930's||You can read Wiedemann's own
explanation of this one, here.
The George Wiedemann Brewery registered 8 trucks in February of 1911, 2 Packards and 8 Electrics. In March of 1911, Charles Wiedemann - the son - registered a 30 hp Packard, and in May of 1911, George Wiedemann - the father - registered a 24 hp Packard.
|An aerial view of the
|Thanksgiving Greetings and a poem from Wiedemann|
|Envelope from1907.||Wiedemann's Ad from 1908
Wiedemann - “The Acme of
Scientific Beer Brewing”
|Letterhead of the
The Wiede Man
|Child rearing advice from old Wiedemann ads.
One lady's opinion of Wiedemann
|Labels of brews specifically designated for use on the dining cars of the C&O and the C&O Railroad.||A Wiedemann brand|