header

St. Joe St. Joe
The First St. Joseph's
from a Facebook post by Johannah Moran
The First St. Joseph's School
from a Facebook post by Cold Spring Ky History

 

Cold Spring Seminary

Cold Spring Seminary

Cold Spring, Kentucky Cold Spring, Kentucky Cold Spring, Kentucky
St. Joseph Orphanage
Cold Spring, 1922
St. Joseph's Orphanage stood
at the corner of US 27 and
Industrial Road,  where DAV
is today
Holly Hill Protestant
Children's Home,
founded in 1884
“Bishop Maes will dedicate St. Joseph's Orphan Asylum, at Cold Spring, Ky., July 14.” Courier Journal, July 7, 1889
Fire at the orphanage in 1884. David Schoeder has written on the history of the orphanage at this site.

 

Cold Spring, Kentucky

National Headquarters for Disabled Veterans stands where the St. Joseph's Orphanage used to be.

 

Cold Spring VFD Cold Spring VFD
Hildebrand Blacksmith Shop, near the SW corner of 27 and Marion/Chapman Way. That's Walter Hildebrand standing in the door. In the buggy are his brother George and George's wife Minnie. from a Facebook post by Becky Jones

 

Latin Quarter

Jones Food Truck
In an era when people owned fewer cars, the grocery could come to you.
From a Facebook post by Barbara Taulbee

 

Sacksteders Sacksteders
Sacksteders, on US 27, From a Facebook post by Cold Spring Ky History Sacksteders, on US 27
That's Barney Sacksteder 2nd from the right
from a Facebook post by Jan Sacksteder Lahley

 

Sacksteders

“This is the Post Office, General Store & Cobblers Shop run by the Bertsch Family, who lived in the back of the building. It sat across from where St. Joe's is now. The building has moved to the back of the property to build the house that sits there today.” Image and comments from the Facebook page of Cold Spring Ky History

 

Cold Spring Still

Remember when they blew up a moonshine still in Cold Spring?
from the Kentucky Post, September 10, 1927

 

Sacksteders

Schweitzer Farm, on US 27

 

Claremont Inn

Frank Brown's Claremont Inn, at Ripple Creek & Alexandria Pike
from a Facebook post by Larry Douglas

 

Cold Spring, Kentucky Cold Spring VFD
Cold Spring VFD Cold Spring/Crestivew VFD
from a Facebook post by Johannah Moran


Cold Spring Cold Spring
Twelve Maples Boyd Home at the top of John's Hill
Sketches by Ms. Caroline Williams  

 

Cold Spring

One of the restaurants listed below is on the right side of this aerial photo. Note Pike 27 on the far left. That woods, toward the upper left is now the Springhouse condo development. And it's where the spring, after which Cold Spring was named, used to be. Details on The Spring. from a Facebook post by Lisa Schmidt Cavanaugh
On the other hand, a writer for the WPA had an entirely different location for the spring.

 

Cold Spring

US 27 Construction
from a Facebook post by Lisa Schmidt Cavanaugh

 

Cold Spring, Kentucky Plantation Menu
Grayson's Inn
You may also remember it as - deep breath - The Plantation (that's their menu above) , Guys ‘N’ Dolls, Italian Villa (a re-branded, franchised LaRosa's), Red River Cattle Company, Frontier Cattle Company, Buckskin Bev’s Cattle Company, The 3 Jacks, Garrison's, Cold Spring Roadhouse, The Stables, The Dark Horse Saloon, Guys ‘N’ Dolls (again), Guys ‘N’ Dolls for Jesus, Devanna’s on the Lake, and Reflections on the Lake. The building was eventually sold and torn down by 2017 to make way for a Cracker Barrel, which still operates there as of this writing (August, 2020). Thanks to a Campbell County Historical Society Facebook Post for the complete (?) list of names and the menu.

 

Cold Spring, Kentucky

Cold Spring, Kentucky

Aerial View
Cold Spring & Highland Heights
c. 1970
Cold Spring area, 1883

 

Cold Spring, Kentucky Barrellhead
Luigi's
“Originally in Newport next to Frisch's at 19th
& Monmouth; little 1 room building.  It was torn
down when they widened US 27, and moved to
where Art's Rental is located now, near where
27 & the AA cross.”
Maurice Hehman, writing on Facebook
The Barrelhead
Earlier, Fahrenholtz Tavern,
followed by Jacks-R-Better.
Across from the DAV .
from a Rob Hadden post on Facebook

 

Cold Spring, Kentucky Cold Spring, Kentucky
Campbell County Home,
“Cold Springs”
Campbell County
Infirmary, 1922
Census of Northern Kentucky's Paupers in Almshouses, 1910, here.

 

Cold Spring, Kentucky

Bank of Alexandria, c. 1970

lne

Cold Springs' Asbury Methodist Church dedicated. Cold Spring's excerpt from Mary Lee Caldwell's History of Education of Campbell County.
Cold Spring Baptist can trace its origins to 1794. Do you get how far back 1794 is in N Ky history?? Gunfight between Macedonians and Bulgarians on the streets of Cold Spring, here.
Rev. Paul Ryan's history of St. Joseph's church is here. Cold Spring fights smallpox inmates. It says here that there was an eleven and a half foot snake strangling cows in Cold Spring.
“A patent has been issued by the US Government to John Lightfoot, of Cold Spring, Ky., for an improved door-fastener.” Daily Courier, May 16, 1860
The history of St. Luke's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Cold Spring is here (pdf). The history of All Saints Episcopal in Cold Spring is here.  
Years ago Cold Spring was named Reese's Settlement. The Burr family of Cold Spring and an estate of $3,000,000. In 1882. Voters arrested and tied to trees in Cold Spring, in 1866, here.
“Coldspring, Ky., Oct. 4. - A ten-mile march through Coldspring is made daily by the soldiers of Ft. Thomas.  Thursday the hospital corps marched to Coldspring and took position in the play ground of the Coldspring seminary, from which they signaled with a heliograph [Wikipedia] to the large water tower in Ft. Thomas.  Signals could be readily read at Ft. Thomas, and by men at Coldspring also.  The flashes could be seen for many miles.  Corporal Dale, who was in charge of the corps at Coldspring, delivered an interesting talk to the pupils of the Coldspring seminary upon the life of a soldier and the hardships and battles engaged in during the Spanish-American war.”from the Maysville Daily Public Ledger, October 4, 1901

lne