Fifth Street School, Dayton, KY 1909
|The Fifth Street School's name was changed to the Lincoln School on May 25, 1926 “in deference to the wishes of the Fifth Avenue Mothers' Club.” The Mothers' Club offered to pay $25 to cover the costs of the change. Kentucky Post, May 26, 1926.|
Eighth Street School, Dayton, 1915
a.k.a. Dayton High School, built in 1904, it burned on January 21, 1924
Five fire departments responded, but the water hydrants were frozen.
October 18, 1911
The Dayton Basketball Team with John Wooden (in the sweater), the second greatest college basketball coach ever.
Or, the greatest ever, to people who've never heard of Adolph Rupp.
St. Francis School, c. 1910
Dayton Conservation Club, c. 1950's. Partial key.
|Dayton School Class
Photo by Wm. Brengelman
|1954 Dayton Cheerleaders|
|A history of the financial
footings of the Dayton Schools thru the Great Depression are
available in D. L. Wetzel's University of Cincinnati Masters Thesis,
titled Effect of an Economic Depression Upon a Small Industrial
School population statistics from Wetzel's thesis are here.
Dayton Independent Schools' web site is here.