Mount Pleasant, Fort Thomas, c 1901
|Mt. Pleasant was built 1830 by William Richard Taylor Taliaferro. Land grant of 1000 acres from government to a Mr. Muse and bought from him or his heirs by Washington Berry. At Mr. Berry's death his daughter Alice Berry Taliaferro (wife and first cousin) inherited about 150 acres. W.R.T. (assumed to be William Richard Taylor) Taliaferro bought another heir out, another 150 acres. Slaves were used to clear the ground and the wood was hauled to a lumber mill to build the home.|
|Taliaferro Home||Fort Thomas Residence|
||Artistic Homes||Allen Home|
Carmel Manor, 1952
Thanks to Mary Seifert Kaiser for this one.
Methodist Parsonage, 1901
||Originally the home of Katherine Tabb, built in 1908. E. E. Weber, architect.
||Dr. F. H. Southgate Home,
1927, on Bivouac
|Harlan Hubbard's home in back of 129 Highland Avenue||The View from Harlan Hubbard's [Wikipedia] Fort Thomas home.|
There are oral history interviews with Hubbard that have
been transcribed. You
can read them, but need to search for “Harlan Hubbard” (use the quotes) at this site.
You can also visit www.harlanhubbard.com.
Shaw Lane, c. 1920, both looking north
“The Prettiest California Bungalow in Cincinnati's Most
Still standing, on S. Fort Thomas Avenue
Morin-Lock Home, for a while the
|A Fort Thomas nursing home at the corner of The Avenue and West Villa
from a Facebook post by Deanna Beineke
|Plan for the Mills Home, in the Highlands||Newman Samuel Residence Proposal, 1917
from Hannaford & Sons
|These are the homes at the Fort in better times. from Fort Thomas Matters, also on Facebook.|
50 Oak Ridge, C. C. Weber home,
Christian Clay “Doc” Weber was the architect of many of Fort Thomas' buildings. Read more about him at the site of Fort Thomas Matters.
|Eric Geiman tells us “This picture was taken on Grant Street. behind Woodfill Elementary. Cool info on it: Three of those houses still stand. The one in the far right corner caught on fire in the early 2000's but the new house was built on top of the original foundation. The house on the left (covered by the tree) is a Sears and Roebucks house called 'The Starlight'.” Thanks, Eric.|
Somewhere in Fort Thomas, c. 1920
Thanks! to Dave Remley for the five images above.
|The Seiler Home in Fort Thomas, 1953||The Chinese Bedroom||Kitchen||Rumpus Room|
|North on Newman||South on Newman||Vista View Subdivision, off Newman|
|August, 1955. Read more details on these four here.|
|Two very different images, from roughly the same spot. On Newman, going south, south of Lilac. Ben Kettler on the left.|
|From a Facebook post by J. E. Venneman||From a Facebook post by Bev Achzehner Harber|
|Looking West down Highland
|Looking northwest, near what is
now Highland and Highview
|Looking northeast at Newman and Highland||Looking northwest, near what is now Highland and Highview|
The above four pictures are taken of the Klaine Estate, 75 acres north of Highland, and east of Newman that originally comprised over 1,000 acres. Covington's Villa Madonna College, later Thomas More, bought it in 1948, with the idea of relocating their campus, but sold it to developers in April of 1955, for building Vista View Subdivision
“Briarcliffe, in Fort Thomas,
Kurt Meier looks back into the history of Briarcliff, here.
|Fort Thomas Residences||Home of war hero
|The Megerle Model Home,
on East Vernon, 1931
earlier, the Kinney Mansion
|The Kinney Mansion
from a 1969 Caroline Williams sketch
from a George Smed Jr. posting on Facebook
|Floor Plan of the Kinney Mansion|
Eli Kinney, a Cincinnati banker, was one of the earliest settlers of the Fort Thomas area. His three-story stone house was built about 1867. He died on August 16, 1884, at age 71. He's buried in Cincinnati's Spring Grove Cemetery. The original house had several other owners before the Carmelite Nuns bought, renovated it and dedicated it, in ceremonies on December 13, 1949. Read more about Kinney here.
You know about the buried treasure at Carmel Manor, right?
|This card says the “Powells” live in the house on the right, the “Wheats” in the house on the left, and is from 1915.||The L&N Railroad company magazine published pictures of its employees homes. Here's one in Fort Thomas, around 1926.|
The City of Fort Thomas published this list
(pdf) of seven really old trees in Fort
Thomas, but none of them appear on Kentucky's state-wide list of biggest
trees in the state. You can find that list at this site.