a.k.a., The Purple People Bridge
The KCRR Bridge, before it was rebuilt in 1895.
|These are from old stereoview cards, circa 1880. At the time these were made, it was the KCRR Bridge - the Kentucky Central Railroad. L&N - The Louisville and Nashville Railroad - bought the old Kentucky Central Railroad in 1888. The KCRR was the L&N line that ran from Newport, south, through Falmouth, Paris, and on to Danville.|
|Bridge Construction, 1870||Why does the early version of the bridge appear as if there are piers built on top of piers? Find out here.|
The Island Queen, marooned by the high waters of the 1937 flood between the L&N Bridge and the Central Bridge. That's the L&N Bridge on the Ohio side. from a Paul Lind post on Facebook
|Newport end of the L&N Bridge, 1937 Flood|
|L & N Bridge from Newport
an etching by E. T. Hurley
from a 1919 book of sketches by Hurley, with texts by James Green.
You can read Green's text to this picture here.
|Louis Vogt paints an L&N Bridge scene,
looking toward Mt. Adams
|Cincinnati end of the L&N in 1937||Newport end of the L&N Bridge, 1937 Flood|
|The KCRR Bridge, as seen from
the Cincinnati side, circa 1880
|The L & N Bridge, the
Ohio Side, c. 1910
|The Ohio end of the Central Bridge||The north end.
From a Facebook post by Cliff Wartman
|The L&N Depot on the Cincinnati side, c. 1895|
The Ohio end of the L&N Bridge, c. 1880's
L & N Bridge Data
from the US Army, Chief of Engineers, 1934
Guarding the L&N Bridge against Germans, April, 1917
From a Facebook post by Terry Garrard
These old stereoviews are c. 1880/1890
|“The first lady to cross the new bridge between Cincinnati and Newport was Miss Williams, of New Liberty, Owen county, Kentucky, who was accompanied by her lover, Mr. J. Ellis, with whom she was escaping to the Ohio side from parents who ‘refused their consent to the match.’ They crossed over Wednesday on the officers train, accepting the invitation of Dr. Green, president of the Short-line road.” Courier-Journal, March 20, 1872||Barges crash into the bridge in 1942.|
|During the construction of the bridge, a steamboat hull was found at the bottom of the river which proved to be the wreck of the Moselle, on April 2, 1832.||A Cincinnati Enquirer 1900 article
on Ohio River bridges is here.
|The LC&L Bridge (Louisville, Cincinnati and Lexington) Bridge, later Kentucky Central, later L&N first opened on March 20, 1872. It was the Ohio River's fifth railroad span, after other ones in Steubenville, Bellaire, Parkersburg, and Louisville. Purvis' Newport Kentucky: A Bicentennial History reports that this bridge "stimulated such rapid growth that Newport's population continued increasing at a faster pace than Cincinnati's in the 1870s. Newport would rank as one of the country's hundred largest cities by 1880."|
|"The reconstruction of the approaches of this bridge was practically completed at the end of December. The strengthening of the four river spans during the early summer will complete the project." L & N Annual Report, 1924||The bridge had its piers enlarged from 1895-1897, and also replaced the trusses with bigger and better ones.|
|The bridge is on the National Register of Historic Places. The application contains maps, history, pictures, and architectural details.|