Vonderhaar and Stetter Funeral home
3rd and Overton, 1922
The Donaldson Lithographing Company, Newport, 1909
to “Mr. Henry Bramlage, Hamburg, Indiana
How's Henry? Am the same old scout. J. Meirose”
(Thanks to Richard Cole for the letterhead images)
|There were also touring musical groups sponsored by Donaldson|
A description of Donaldson from 1909 is here.
Inside the Donaldson Lithographing Company
|Owners Marie and Edwin Offenbacher||September 17, 1942||1939||Proprietors Edwin, and Marie, with son Wilbert.||Edwin Offenbacher, age 42, May 7, 1939.|
|The Stadium Inn, where the Newport Library is now. Read more about it here. A big thanks to Brian Malone for the images and the background.|
|Peter Hughes Express
1013 Vine St, Newport
|Joe Gatliff Auto Sales, 1959
6th and Dayton Ave.
|George P. Stegner actually had two groceries in Newport. One was at the southwest corner of Monroe; the other at the southwest corner of Seventh and Monroe. This is the one on Saratoga.|
|Kentucky Journal, 1892
sw corner of Washington & Madison
(Madison was later renamed 5th)
|Weingartner Planing Mill, 1890
Earlier, on Monmouth
|The W. J. Baker Co., 1948, and 1909.
Forrest and Saratoga.
now in Wilder, and online here.
|The Val Weber Bakery on the north west corner of Dayton and Harris Streets. You know Harris as 9th.||John Steinhauer's Bakery, on 285 Tibbats, or, after they renamed the streets, 31 E. Tenth.|
Blau's Grocery, 10th and Washington
From a Facebook post by Tom Taylor
|Higgin Manufacturing, 1922
|The Higgin Manufacturing Company,
This building was on the southeast corner of 5th and Washington.
Higgin's advertising brochure from 1921 is here. A description from 1909 is here.
|The Palm Beach Building, above and below, was located on the East side of Washington Street between 5th & 6th Streets. Originally constructed around 1883 for the Deuber-Hampden Watch Company, the building was torn down in 1988 and is now a parking lot. The building had several tenants over its 100+ years. Deuber-Hampden vacated the property in 1891 after the owner ran into financial difficulties. The property was then purchased by The Standard Carriage Goods Company, a manufacturer of carriage hardware and leather trimmings. In 1897, the Standard Carriage Company was purchased by the Higgins Manufacturing Company, who continued to produce carriage equipment and leather goods. In later years, the Higgins Manufacturing Company produced metal screens for doors and windows. In 1946, the Goodall Company took over the building and used it produce mens and women's clothing. In 1965, the Goodall Company changed their name to the Palm Beach Company and occupied the building until its demise. text from Facebook post by Old Photos of Newport|
Palm Beach Clothing, Newport,
right is 1948
Dueber Watch Case Factory
southeast corner of Washington and Madison; ad is from 1885
(Madison was later renamed 5th)
Read much more about Dueber's at this site.
Beetz's Bakery, 1922
Known for Beetz's English Pound Cake
“The Beetz Bakery was started and operated by my grandfather Frank Beetz from about 1918 to 1948.
He was born in Germany in 1876, lived in London from 1888 to 1908, and then moved to Newport. He worked
at Roth Bakery at 9th and York before starting his bakery at 10th and Boone.” - George White
|The Marion M. Allen
927 Park at 10th
|Victor Brown, Florist,
114 E. Eighth Street,
Company, 1922. They made 3,000
washing machine motors per month.
On 108 to 114 East Eighth, Newport
The Dean Gas Engine & Foundry Co. 1906
corner of 1st and Washington
|Products of Rothweiler Manufacturing, on Saratoga.|
There's a history of the restaurant on their web site, here.
Dining room picture from a Facebook post by Lori Guilliams
Roy Rogers Roast Beef, on Carothers, 1974
Victor Brown Florist, East Eighth Street
Knobloch's, A Nash Dealer
East Sixth Street
The 3rd Street Motor Car Company is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The application (pdf) contains lots of images, history, and architectural details. From 2002.
Otto Zimmerman & Son, 1922, 1948
120 E. Third Street
Hyde Park Clothes
|Clarence's Radiator Service,
E. 10th, 1960
from a Dodie Howard Leigh post on Facebook
|E. J. Robinson Glass Co
|Auto Vehicle Parts Co.
1028 Saratoga, Newport