|The first suspension bridge over the Licking
from Covington to Newport cost $80,000,
opened December 23, 1853, and collapsed
January 16, 1854 under vibration from
cattle crossing it.
Or, maybe the first bridge was
|Newport, 1930 Flood
This bridge is a forerunner to the current span
over the Licking River between Covington and
Newport The bridge end's on Patterson,
between 4th and 5th Streets.
|“This strange truss bridge was built at
some unknown date to replace the 1854
suspension bridge (probably 1880/90), and
was itself replaced at some date by the
existing bridge (c. 1935).”
Thanks to Dr. Joseph Gastright for this info
Licking River Bridge
|We think this postcard lies. It says it's a Licking River Bridge between Covington and Newport, but it's not the Memorial Bridge, it's not the forerunner to Memorial, it's not the Shortway or the successor to the Shortway, and it's neither of the railroad bridges. The style of the card is going to be c. 1910. And what's with that stone wall in the foreground? Thoughts?|
|“The old sycamore tree at the west end of the Newport and Covington Bridge, which has withstood the storms of probably three hundred years, as well as the floods of the Licking River during the period, was washed away by the recent freshet in that turbulent stream. It was a familiar landmark to many, and it will be missed.” From the Covington Journal, April 13, 1872|
The Licking River Bridge was not the way to go in the 1937 Flood.
Note Immaculate Conception in the background.
|The 4th Street Bridge, from Covington,
1909. That's a toll house on the right.
|“Colonel Todd, President of the Newport and Covington Bridge Company, stopped the cars of the Newport Street Railroad Company from crossing the bridge on Tuesday afternoon, and will not allow them to resume running over it until the company pays the amount they owe to the City of Covington for tolls, which is about $650. It is also understood that the bridge directors will not comply with the recommendation of the Newport Council to permit the street cars to cross the bridge at the rate of $100 per car annually. They demand a half cent per passenger.” Courier-Journal, September 16, 1869|
|The first attempt to build a bridge
over the Licking at 11th Street
collapsed, killing 40. The Enquirer's
story is here.
|Short Way Bridge
December 18, 1892.
|The Kentucky Post ran this
drawing of the new bridge the
day it opened, with this story.
Replacing the Short Way
Bridge, taken from Newport side
|Two different styles of passes for the Shortway Bridge.
Thanks to Jim Baker for contributing these images.
|C & O Railroad Bridge Across the Licking
That's Covington's St. Ben's in the far distant right
|L & N Bridge over the Licking
between Wilder and Latonia
|“The reconstruction of the bridge over the Licking River was authorized in December, 1924, in order to provide for the movement of heavier locomotives between DeCoursey, Ky., and Cincinnati, Ohio. This work was commenced in February, 1925, and it is expected that it will be completed during the year.” L & N Annual Report, 1924|
The new bridge over the Licking River at Visalia, west of Alexandria