|St. Francis of Assisi|
St. Francis of Assissi Church, on the northeast corner of Third and Benham in Jamestown, now Dayton, Kentucky. The first pastor was Father Michael Herzog. The cornerstone was laid in 1852 by Bishop Martin Spaulding, June, 1854, 40' by 60' Cchurch dedicated Sunday, July 9, 1854 by Bishop George Carrell. Herzog built first parish and parish house.
Father Francis Grome built second church, 1865, 40' x 112, dedicated Sunday, September 23, 1866 by Bishop George Carrell. Church destroyed by 1913 flood. Walls cracked, floor buckled, pews tossed around, altar fell, and steeple fell into school yard.
|from a handwritten item in the
news clippings files in the Newport Library