1866 Carroll County Railroad Proposals
You'll want a key to all those red lines on the map. It's here.
St. Peter's Lutheran Church, circa 1910, Hunter's Bottom
The above two images are from Trimble County Heritage, 1989.
A few words on the history of this church are here.
They converted from using German to requiring English in 1928.
|A citizen of White's Run extols his
community's virtues in 1874, here.
|“David Wilson, formerly of Mill Creek district, then Gallatin, now Carroll county,
served through the Revolutionary and Indian wars, was married five times, raised forty-nine children, and lived to be ninety-six years old. His sides were a solid plate of bone, without anything like a rib, hence he was called “Ironsides.” The strongest man in the community might strike him in the side with all his might without inducing injury.”Courier-Journal, April 18, 1868, reprinting from the Carrollton Democrat
|White's Run Baptist Association notes here. (pdf)|
|Edmund Prince arrested for aiding slaves escape from Hunter's Bottom. Here.||“Moses T. Hoagland, aged 90 years, 7 months and 6 days died at his residence
in Hunter's Bottom, Carroll county, Wednesday last. He had been a resident of that
vicinity since 1800; was an officer in the War of 1812, and an intimate friend of Gen. Jackson.”Courier-Journal, May 18, 1869
|The Hunters Bottom Historic District's description, which has details of many of its antebellum homes, is here. (pdf)||“A correspondent of the Carrollton Democrat thinks that ‘perhaps no place on
God's green earth has more beauty than Hunter's Bottom: a land flowing with milk and
honey, and the inhabitants celebrated for their hospitality and kindness of heart’”
Courier-Journal, March 27, 1871
|The 50 or so men from Hunters Bottom that joined Civil War forces called themselves the Invincibles. Their story is here. (pdf)||"Gold has been found in paying quantities on the
farm of John Obertata, in Hunters
Bottom, a few miles below Carrollton. Eastern parties have been assaying specimens
and their report is so favorable that work in mining the product will begin at once."
The Owenton News-Herald, April 20, 1905
|A. T(J?). Walters Feed and Grist Mill
|M. H. Coleman, c. 1910
The town of Carson, which existed before I-71 construction eliminated it, was originally named Bramblett, but when they tried to establish a post office, they found there was already a Kentucky town named Bramblett, in Nicholas County. Hence the name Carson.
Rural Carroll County
The Lewis Sanders Home
at the southeast corner of I-71 and the Ghent-Eagle Station Road
|Read more about Lewis Sanders here.||The bio at the left notes that Sanders was “known widely for importing shorthorn cattle and improving the breed” in 1816. A hundred years later, they were still known. Here.|
|From the Draper Papers (MS15CC41), we find, in an interview with General Butler, this little gem: “Sanders (of Grass Hills, Gallatin) entertained [Aaron] Burr at his table.”|
Supposedly, this is Frank Butler, who, told he should move south for his health, did.
McCool's Creek Park, 1944
The Best Show of Fat Cattle at the 1931 Bourbon Stock Yards
were shown by these Carroll Countians.
|Mary Nell Jenkins, Locust School
||Locust Basketball Team|
|both from Facebook posts by Amy Sevigny|
|History of the Bramblett Baptist Church is here.||A correspondent describes Locust, in a two part article from 1885.
Part 1 is here and part 2 is here. (pdf's)
|“Last Saturday night the store at Eagle Station belonging to Joseph Sams was entirely consumed by fire. We understand there was about $2,600 worth of goods on which there is about $1,400 insurance.” the Maysville Republican, March 4, 1876, quoting the Carrollton Independent|
|“The Lower White's Run Baptist church, in lower Carroll county, was destroyed by fire on Sunday evening, the 13th.” Courier-Journal, March 21, 1870|
|About Eagle Station before it declined, here.||A 1905 fire in Eagle Station is reported here.|
|“One of the most interesting of Kentucky meteorites and the one which has the reputation of being the finest and most beautiful pallasite (Wikipedia), was found near Eagle Station, Carroll County. The main mass is now in Natur Historishe Museum in Vienna and efforts to obtain a piece of it were fruitless after the Nazis took over Vienna.” Louisville Courier-Journal, September 1, 1940|