Carroll Co. Items from Collins' History of Kentucky
1754 “James McBride, with others, in a canoe, passes down the Ohio to the mouth of the Kentucky, and cuts his initials in a tree”
1771 “Simon Kenton, John Strader, and George Yeager (the latter raised by Indians, and visited the cane land with them), descend the Ohio river, to near the mouth of the Kentucky; on their return they examine the Licking river, Locust, Bracken, Salt Lick, and Kinnikinnick creeks, and Tygart and Sandy rivers for cane, but find none.”
May, 1774 “Capt. James Harrod, Abram Hite, Jacob Sandusky, and 37 other men descended the Ohio, encamp at the mouth of Deercreek, where Cincinnati now is, and upon that ground cut the first tree ever cut by white men.  They go on down to the mouth of the Kentucky, and up that stream to what now is Mercer county, where in June, they lay off Harrodsburg, and erect a number of cabins.”
May 23, 1791 “By arrangement of the Kentucky Board of War, Gen. Chas. Scott, with 800 mounted Kentucky volunteers, crosses the Ohio, at the mouth of the Kentucky, marches against the Indian towns on the Wabash near where Lafayette now is, burns Ouiatenon (a village of 70 houses) and other towns; defeats the Indians several times, and captures many prisoners.”
August 20, 1796 “Towns of Greensburg, Port William (now Carrollton) , and Newtown (Jefferson county), established.”
April 6, 1815 Great flood in the Ohio river; higher than it had been since 1793.”
January 26, 1818 “Forty-six independent banks chartered, and with capital as follows: . . .$100,000 at . . . Port William.”
Feb. 10, 1820 “Independent bank charters repealed.”
June 28, 1846 “Appointments by President Polk: Zachary Taylor, to be major general in the regular army, Wm. O. Butler, of Carroll Co., Ky., to be major general of volunteers, and Thomas Marshall, of Lewis Co., Ky., to be brigadier general of volunteers.”
April 9, 1858 “From the following 21 companies, Gov. Morehead selects by lot 10 to compose the regiment to be tendered to the U.S. War department for service in Utah.”  [A Carroll County company under A. L. Saunders was] “reported, but without roll of officers and men,” and was not selected.
Sept. 14, 1858 “Death, at the residence of her son, Wm. White, in Hunter's Bottom, Carroll county, of Mrs. Margaret Hoyt, aged 91 years, the first white woman who settled in Cincinnati, Ohio.”
Feb. 5, 1862 “[Indiana Senator Jesse D. Bright, expelled from the Senate for acknowledging Jefferson Davis as President of the Confederacy, has all of his property confiscated by the Union.] Mr. Bright removed, not long after to Carrollton, Ky.; and represented Carroll and Gallatin counties in the Ky.  legislature from 1867 to 1871, when he declined a re-election. He is now (1874) a citizen of Covington.”
Dec. 3, 1862 “Gen. Humphrey Marshall's law library, which had been “captured” at Carrollton and sent to Cincinnati, decreed by Judge Leavitt in the U. S. district court to be confiscated and sold - because he was then actually making war against the government.”
August 23, 1864 “16 colored soldiers, 117th U. S. captured at Jex's Landing, Carroll Co., 3 miles above Ghent on the Ohio river, by Col. Geo. M. Jessee's Confederate force.”
August 29, 1964 “Lock No. 1, on Ky. river, three miles above the mouth, partially destroyed and disabled by guerillas.”
March 6, 1865 “Mason, Boone, Nicholas, Campbell, Greenup, Gallatin, Bracken, Grant, Kenton, Butler, Carroll, Livingston, Lyon, Caldwell, Fleming, Oldham and Jefferson counties, and the city of Louisville, each authorized by special legislation to raise a bounty fund to aid enlistments and provide substitutes.”
April 9, 1872 “Greatest flood in the upper Kentucky river since 1817; river rose 15 feet in 6 hours; over 20,000 saw logs, the property of poor people, floated off and lost. . . . Eagle Creek, in Grant, Owen, Carroll and Gallatin counties was 4 feet higher than ever known; great damage done.”



from The History of Kentucky, by the Late Lewis Collins, Judge of the Mason County Court, Revised, Enlarged Four-Fold, and Brought Down to the Year 1874 by His Son, Richard H. Collins, A.M., LL.B.