1866 Map of Proposed Railroads
The key to all those different red lines is here.
The Louisville Cincinnati and Lexington
a.k.a. The Short Line, a.k.a. the L & N, a.k.a. CSX Railroad
|Concord Baptist Church
For a list of who's buried in the Concord Cemetery, try this site.
|Oakland Baptist Church, 1965|
|Description of this building's dedication, here.||There's a history of the Oakland Baptist Church here.|
|“A plank fence around the Baptist church at Concord adds greatly to its appearance.”
From Covington’s Daily Commonwealth, May 1, 1879.
|“Last week seven full blooded Indians were in the Concord neighborhood and gave out that they were hunting roots and herbs, but the general opinion is that they were hunting a buried treasure and are the parties who have been digging for treasure in this section for the past year. Their method of traveling was remarked for its peculiarity, going in single file and avoiding the roads and cutting across fields to any point they desire to travel.” from the Warsaw Independent, June 16, 1906|
|Cow Branch School, off Hance Road
who's in the photo, here.
|Holton Home on Park
|Froman Farms, 1971|
|The Gex School, after the 1937 Flood.
It sat just east of Gallatin Steel.
|Thought to be an old Mylor house,
north of US 42, and east
of Gallatin Steel
|Thanks to Bill Davis for these two pictures.|
View from Johnson Hill
Overlooking the Ohio above Warsaw
|The Log Cabin on
US 42, 1942
|The Log Cabin on
US 42, 1931
|Up River from Warsaw
Used through the cooperation of the
University of Louisville Photographic Archives
|Same scene as left,
|Furnish's Truck Stop
East of Warsaw on US 42
|The Ky Post's story on the opening of
US 42 in October of 1937 noted this
“beautiful scenery” in the knobs
“east of Warsaw.”
|Boat with issues, 1964
at Craig's Creek
|Aerial of Dan's, soon
after Markland opened
|Dan B Webster's Restaurant, c. 1960
from a Facebook post by the Owen Electric Cooperative
|Dan's Restaurant and Boat Dock|
|Stone Lick School in 1897, on Craig's
Creek Road near Winn Road.
Thanks to Dale Samuel for this one.
|One Room School,
Eagle Tunnel, 1900
|Thomas Mylor's Store in Gex
||The Gex School in the aftermath
of the 1937 flood. It was just east
of the Gallatin Steel location. The
house to the left is ill standing.
The Walnut Valley Baseball Team
Key to who's in the picture, here.
Thanks to Terry Combs Caldwell and Virgie Sanders for this one!
|When this Paint Lick wife says don't come home drunk, she's serious. Details.||Paint Lick episode from the Civil War.||Train Wreck kills two, somewhere near the Grant-Gallatin line in 1896, here.|
|History of Drury Chapel Methodist Church from 1964 is here.||The origin of the name Vera Cruz, here.||Train Wreck kills two, somewhere near the Grant-Gallatin line in 1872, here.|
|“South-Fork, Gallatin County. Temperance meetings are all the
go now. Ever body has signed
the Murphy pledge [Wikipedia]. We have an organized lodge of one hundred members at Steele’s bottom. There are also lodges at
Paint Lick, and Hughes school house.”
The Commonwealth, October 1, 1877
|The News from Steeles Bottom, 1879, here.||“T. M. Blackmore has shipped 33o bbls of apples and 25 bbls of cider from Warsaw to Memphis.”
- Carrollton Democrat, January 25, 1873
|“FOR SALE. 600 Acres of First Rate BOTTOM LAND, on the Ohio River, in Gallatin County, two miles below the mouth of Big-bone creek. This land's well watered, with 25 acres cleared and under good fence, together with a small, promising orchard, and several convenient cabins; the terms of sale will be made easy to the purchaser. Apply to A. Steele, Shelbyville, or the subscriber, Madison Court house. Joseph Steele. July 15, 1804” from the Kentucky Gazette, July 31, 1804|
|There's a record of Richard Steele's ferry on his land below the mouth of Steele's Creek from 1800.|
Sleet Farm For Sale, On Sayersville Road, between Spencer and Sleet Roads
1913 Flood Scenes at Patriot, Indiana
The Concord news in the Gallatin County News in the fall of 1967.
For the record, Mr. Webster was likely not stripping Mr. Stephenson or Mr. Chapman.
Last and least, the Kentucky Agricultural Extension Office, in 1931, published
this picture of the “model brooder house,” somewhere in Gallatin County.