|The O. P. Morton Lumberyard,
later owned by W. P. Crouch
|W. P. Crouch and Son
ad from April, 1925
| Glencoe Tobacco Warehouse
located across the street from
where Crouch Gas used to be
Clover Farm Store
|Thanks to Cheryll Black Obendorf for the shot above. She tells us it's the C. N. Black & Sons Clover Farm Store in Glencoe, c. 1940. “My grandfather, Charles Newton Black, and his sons, Charles Cecil (my dad) and Marvin Lee, were the proprietors. They also ran a huckster route throughout Gallatin County.”|
Looking North on Rt. 16
Poland's Grocery on the left; Glencoe Bank on right
|Thought to be Jack Miller's Store||Edd Wilson
Across from the Christian Church
|Jones Drug Store
corner of Howard & Rt. 16
The news from Glencoe, in 1875, here.
The news from Glencoe, in 1879, here.
|Glencoe School, Sunday afternoon,
January 30, 1955
On the same site as the building at
the right. Fire story here.
|New Glencoe School, just
before opening, 1957
Glencoe Basketball Team
Team members listed here
The Glencoe Baptist Church
located across the railroad from what we remember as the Crouch Gas Service
Thanks! to Terry Combs Caldwell for the image
Maureen McKinney's History of Glencoe Baptist is here. (pdf)
The 400+ page journal of the minutes of the “Glencoe Baptist Church of Christ,” January 11, 1878 - November, 1956, are available for your viewing on microfilm at the library in Covington. The first entry of that journal is here (pdf).
|Interior of Glencoe Bank, 1926||Bank of Glencoe Receipt, 1904||Joseph L. Hendrix,
from Fetter's Notable Men of Kentucky, 1901
“A new bank (the People's) has been started in Glencoe with sixty stockholders, all but
three of whom are residents of the community. This is the second bank for the neighboring
town. W. E. Sullivan, son-in-law of Capt. DeJarnette, is cashier of the older one.”
Williamstown Courier, March 30, 1905
|The Bank of Glencoe, 1907, 1897||The Peoples Deposit Bank
of Glencoe, 1914
|The Union Bank of Glencoe||Farmers State Bank, Glencoe Branch|
|The Glencoe Bank was bought, sold, and merged; there were never 4 different banks, at once, in Glencoe.|
“A new bank has been organized at Glencoe. Dr. O. B. Yager was elected
President, J. J. Kemper, First Vice-president; M. H. Richards, Second Vice-
president. The cashier will be elected later. A new building will be erected at once.”
from the Owenton News-Herald, April 27, 1905
The Black Family of Glencoe
Thanks to David Webb for this one
Glencoe Hotel, a.k.a. the
Home of former Glencoe
|Dr. O. B. Yeager Home
that's his office on the far left
Poland's Grocery is to the right
(out of the image)
|Crouch /Howard Farm, c. 1913
Where Heritage Hills is now, on Johnson
Road. Who are the folks in the pic? Here.
|House #126, from the 1913
Sears & Roebuck House catalog,
says one like this is in Glencoe.
|Home of Joseph Hendrix
corner of 127 & the Folsom Road
That's Joe & his wife Nannie on the porch
|Rider Home, Glencoe||Eagle Valley, Glencoe, KY, 1911|
Glencoe Christian sponsors a supper, featuring such delicacies as . . . bananas?
Raymond Lewis' history of the Glencoe Christian Church is here.
|You can read about the time President Ulysses S. Grant came to Glencoe, here.|
|Timetable for the L&N at Glencoe, 1879, here.||"The principal staple of Glencoe seems to be fighting whiskey." - Carrollton Democrat, October 8, 1874||1,500 attend the 1905 CSA reunion in Glencoe, here.|
|1889 train wreck near Glencoe, here.||Glencoe was officially established as a town on February 23, 1876|
|A history of Glencoe is here.||Kentucky legislature says Glencoe is on the wagon, here.|
|Glencoe news from the Boone Co. Recorder in 1879, here.||“The Masons of Glencoe will have their hall ready to celebrate on the 24th of June, and will have a celebration on that date.” Courier-Journal, March 3, 1871||The poem, Glencoe Girls, here.|
|A few news items from Glencoe, 1883, here.||A gold nugget found in Glencoe, 1902, here.||Ole Glencoe, poetry from Ernestine Lear, here.|
|In the first World War, Glencoe's Sgt. Otto Gullion, 83rd Company, Sixth Marines, was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, for “Extraordinary heroism in action near Bayonville, France, November 1, 1918. Exposing himself to enemy fire, Sergeant Gullion advanced ahead of his platoon into a ravine and captured, single-handed, a German officer and four men.”|
|“A schoolhouse is to be built at Glencoe, in the [illeg] with a Masonic hall over it. The fraternity are in a prosperous condition there. Although they had to get a dispensation to work, they have some twenty-five good members.” Courier Journal, February 21, 1870||Murder on the croquet court, here.|
Fires in Glencoe:
|1878 Fire ruins mill, here||1885 Fire in Glencoe, here.||1886 Fire in Glencoe, here|
|“Glencoe has had her third fire in little over a year. This time, burning over half
the town; to wit, Dr. Foster's
residence, Mr. Noel's tobacco barn and out buildings, Thomas Stewart's residence, and Al Kemper's stable. The
total losses amount to $8,000, with insurance covering $2500.”
From the Owenton Democrat, November 11, 1886.
|1932 Fire in Glencoe, here||Fire at Glencoe Stock Yards, here.||1955 Fire in Glencoe, here|
The Poplar Grove to Glencoe Turnpike was authorized in 1875.
|“The citizens of Glencoe and vicinity are highly elated over the success of their efforts to obtain a pike from this place through Owen county, intersecting the Owenton and Sparta Pike. Emboldened by their success in this undertaking, they have organized a meeting for taking steps to procure a pike from here to Sugar Creek. If this later scheme proves as successful as the former, then indeed, the citizens of Glencoe may expect better times. There would then be no idle clerks lying around on the counters, sighing for customers, for they would be as busy as the barkeepers now are.”From the Daily Commonwealth, February 4, 1879|