|11th & Scott, 1925||
|Inside the South Exchange, 1915||“South” Exchange,
4th and Court, 1922
|The South Exchange in the 1937 Flood. Generators were brought in the insure the phone system remained operative in the event of electrical outages.|
|The South Fort Mitchell Fire Truck was used to pump water from the basement of the Covington South Telephone Exchange in the 1937 Flood.|
B. B. Hume's Automobile Garage, at 330 Scott. That's a Hupmobile (Wikipedia), on the 1916 Hupmobile United America Tour.
|On E 7th St Between Madison & Scott,
on the North Side of the Street. Fulton's
Fish Market. The Man with the Apron is
Albert F Schneider, c. June 1914.
|Summe & Ratterman, c. 1914,
224 E. 20th St. That's Gus Summe.
Closed in 1965.
from a Facebook post by Sandy Koors
2nd between Scott and Court
from 2nd and Scott
from Suspension bridge
Champion Ice Manufacturing & Cold Storage
Four Views of the Boros Brothers Building, at 116-120 E. Second Street, April, 1986.
Barry Pepper was the photographer of these scenes.
|Lovell and Buffington Tobacco,
Company 235 Scott
|Lovell and Buffington,
229-235 Scott in Covington
Manufacturers of Fountain Fine Cut, Bull Dog Twist, Bull Dog Cut Plug, White Seal Long Cut
Eastern Avenue at Durrett
The 1930 Covington City Plan cited this building
as a bad example: a business in a residential neighborhood.
A big thanks to Joyce Snow and her friends for identifying the location.
Union Light, Heat & Power, a.k.a. the Traction Building
|Kay's Laundry and Dry Cleaning,
204 Greenup Street
210-12 Greenup Street
Kays Laundry 1937 Flood Souvenir.
from a Facebook post by Michelle Edmonds
Malart's, 8th & Greenup
Massman's Drug Store, s.e.c. 11th & Greenup
From a Facebook post by Dale Ashcraft
Mi Co Meter Company
Davezac's Building on Court
1333 Scott Blvd.
|Milward & Oldershaw was a pork slaughtering house.
Details here, here, here, and here!
|Milward & Oldershaw, circa 1850 |
Between Robbins and Eleventh, on the Licking.
They slaughtered 3,000 hogs daily here.
The building burned down in 1857.
|Detailed drawings of the hog
butchering process in 1873 are here.
|“Covington has slaughtered 17,500 hogs this season” Courier-Journal, January 10, 1870|
George “Cyclone” Maher
Read a little more about this famous Covington cyclist here.
107 E. 5th Street,
|Larry Blank's Covington Cycles,
31 E. 5th Street, 1940
|Michaels Art Bronze Co,
3rd & Scott
|The Kenworth Shoe Company
1922, 515 Scott Street, Makers
of high grade shoes for ladies
|Joe's Super Station had its grand opening on June 26, 1931 at Third and Greenup. It featured “a special greasing and alemiteing [Wikipedia] department, auto top repair, battery and tire service, etc. United Petroleum Fleet Wing Ethyl and high grade oils will be handled exclusively.”|
Hemingray's on Second Street at Scott, Manufacturers of Electric Insulators
|R. A. Jones,
15th & Kendall
|The Moser Bros Co., Inc.
s.w. corner 2nd & Greenup
|Covington Coal and Sand Co.
Offices, 509-511 Madison
Elevator, 13th St & Licking River
“The boiler in Phelps & Jordan's Rolling Mill at Covington exploded at noon to-day, and destroyed the building. Eight persons were dangerously wounded, and a great many were injured, as about 200 persons were working at and around the building. The boiler was carried 200 feet and fell into the Licking River. The explosion is attributed to the neglect of the engineer.” from the New York Times, April 6, 1853
“The Covington Glass Works turn out fruit jars at the rate of 10,000 a day.” from the Covington Journal, July 17, 1869
A $250,000 fire destroys the Kenton Woolen Mills in 1867, here.