Philip Schambach's Bakery, 1912
|Kentucky Livery, 123 W. 13th Street, 1940, (between Banklick St. and the railroad)|
|The Casino Theatre, 1912
Parker & Stephens, proprietors
7 Pike Street
|Marion G. Grubbs,
44 Pike Street
|Gus W. Menninger,
66 W. Pike
|Zimmer home at 712 Pike. It
has four stories; the bottom
story well into the ground to
store excess produce and beer.
The family moved here after
living above the grocery at
|Zimmer Grocery, on Lewis
and Western. Proprietor
Charles Zimmer also owned
a second grocery store on the
corner of 12th and Hermes
in 1910. That's Frances Bockweg
Zimmer, 3rd from the left.
at 555 Pike, in
the 1937 Flood
from a Facebook post by Joe Metz
A big thanks to Erica Miller Broenner for sharing these Zimmer pictures. Frances Bockweg Zimmer is her g-g-grandmother
|The S. H. Knox
Five and Ten Cents Store,
The Busy Store of Our City
At 40 Pike Street, 1908
|John Arink, Fashionable
Merchant Tailor, 1890,
6th between Main
7th & Washington
|Covington Sawmill and
N.E. corner, 2nd and Main
|The Star Foundry Company
Manufactures of Famous “Reliable”
Line of Stoves and Ranges
221-231 Main Street
|Fred Seifert's Bakery
1429 Russell Street, 1952
photo courtesy Frederick
and Catherine Seifert
on the C & O Railroad,
at 8th Street
|Kentucky Planing Mill
|The Overman & Schrader Cordage Company’s Eagle Twine
Mills had their offices at 26-28 E. Second Street in Cincinnati,
but the mill was in Covington, on the northwest corner of 16th
and Russell. They were “manufacturers of coarse and fine twines,
wrapping and sail twines, tube and hide ropes. Also full line of
Manila and sisal rope, tarred and untarred lath yarn, plumbers
oakum and packing.” At it’s peak, 500 or so people worked there,
but the demise of steamboats killed virtually all rope businesses.
In 1902, Charles Schrader, the company's president, wrote to Congress concerning a regulation that would cause enormous harm to the business community. It seems the government wanted to institute the 8 hour work day on government contracts (“to the detriment of every citizen in the land”). You can read his letter here.
|1904 Location||1905 Location||1917+ Location||1917+ Location|
|Kelley and Koett||1917+ Location||Workers||The magnificent Koett Home,
515 Russell Street
The Kelley - Koett Manufacturing Co., a.k.a. Keleket, was one of the largest X-ray
machine manufacturers in the USA. 212 W. 4th St, Covington
A history of the firm from 1924 is here.
The Remains of the T. S. Hamilton Tobacco Warehouse after being burned down by Night Riders, March 26, 1908.
The warehouse was on the north side of 4th, between Philadelphia and Bakewell.
|The Kentucky Post's story on the above is here.||A list of other buildings destroyed in the fire is here.||If you need a little background on who the Night Rider's were, it's here.|
The Moeschel - Edwards Corrugating Company on the railroad, between 8th and 9th
|Sears & Roebuck,
7th, West of Madison
|Wadsworth Electric Manufacturing, 1922
11th, between Madison
|Lockett and Tate,
19th and Russell, 1928
|Tate, c. 1950||Tate Builders Supply, 1940
Tate builders was at W 19th
& Russell, on the NE corner.
|“One hundred feet of the stone wall of Gaylord's foundry, Covington, fell in the river yesterday. Its height was 55 feet. It had been undermined by water. Loss $15,000” Courier-Journal, May 7, 1870|
|Quality Coal Company, 1943
"The Hottest Coal in Town"
130 W. 19th Street
|T. W. Spinks Company,
You're looking northeast, just
north of the 19th Street Bridge.
|Phoenix Manufacturing Co.,
|Engine Shop||Boiler Shop|
The Houston, Stanwood & Gamble Co., northwest corner of 3rd & Philadelphia
Dick's Standard, Fifth and Main
from a Facebook post on the Old Northern Kentucky page
“One Cent Reward. Ranaway from the subscriber, HENRY FINCH, an apprentice to the Saddling
business. The above reward and no thanks will be paid for his return. The public are forewarned
from trusting or employing him. Andrew Ross, Covington.”
from the Licking Valley Register, August 10, 1844.