|The Old Stone House belonging to Thomas Kennedy said to have been erected in 1791 on Second Street between Garrard and the Licking River, facing the Ohio River to the north.|
The Amos Shinkle Mansion, 165 East Street, Covington
Who was Amos Shinkle? Find out here.
After Shinkle's death, the building was donated to the Salvation Army in 1914.
They tore it down and erected the first Booth Hospital on the site in 1920.
|“Col. Amos Shinkle has contracted for the building of a residence for himself, on Second street, between Garrard and Kennedy, in Covington, Ky., which is expected to cost between $100,000 and $200,000. The cellar alone will cost $12,000. The work has already commenced.” from the Daily Courier, June 6, 1868|
The Oldest House in Covington, Ky. built
This house stood on West 9th, between Banklick and Russell. It wasn't the first house
in Covington, but the oldest one still standing when this card was published.
|“If the wishes of Miss Fannie Manser, one of the leaders in civic and humane work are carried out by the City Commissioners, the old log cabin, which it is claimed, was utilized as a tollgate at Madison Avenue and Pike Street when Covington was but a mere hamlet, will be placed in Devou Park. It is now located at Ninth and Russell Streets and is the property of Billy Boro.” from Cincinnati Enquirer, July 28, 1914, thanks to Mary Seifert Kaiser for sending it to me.|
|Row Houses, standing
today, at 15th and Madison
|The Graziani House||The Rodgers Mansion, a.k.a.
Home, E. Second Street
|Second and Garrard, 1967
a sketch by Caroline Williams
|The Motch Home for sale
1553 Madison,“in the residential district”
|419 Garrard Street, 1927|
|Home of Dr. J. D. Collins, c, 1900
from the Facebook page of
Covington Kentucky Vintage Postcards
|The Home the Rev. Adolf
Rupprecht, c. 1914
338 E. 17th
Note St. Ben's on the left
|Boyd/Hiles Home at
6th and Philadelphia
Currently the home
of Lawrence, P.S.C.
from the Old Seminary Square Facebook Page
|“This house was taken off of its foundation from Lewis & Baker Streets to Covington Ball Park during a tornado.” July 15, 1915||This one's still standing at 2736 Madison on Old Decoursey, c. 1870. The house was owned by Fairchilds at that time. Thanks to Dora Tello for the picture.|
|The First Covington's Women's
Club, 33 East 12th Street.
A little history is here.
|Railroad YMCA Building
standing today on Madison,
south of 16th. Read about the
Grand Opening, here.
|Preview of the I.R.S. Site|
|“From the first of April to the first of October of the present year, there were sales of real estate in Covington to the amount of one million dollars - scarcely a fourth on speculation, but chiefly for building purposes. Covington is going up. Let her ascend!” from the Louisville Courier, October 8, 1853|
Old Ladies Home, Covington
A little history on the Ladies Home is at this site.
The home of a Covington Riverboat Captain
|Fred Fischer Residence|
|618 Main Street||Fifth Street, c. 1977|
| Carneal House, c. 1938, 1981
This house was built in 1815 on land purchased from Thomas Kennedy. It was the first brick house built Covington. The story that Lafayette stopped here is likely not true, but Andrew Jackson, Henry Clay and Daniel Webster did. There's a tunnel that leads to the river, but it likely was not used as a path of the Underground Railroad.
|Shinkle Row Houses, 1967, 1981|
We have lots more residential scenes on this page: October 14, 1973
It says here that the the first house in
Covington was built by Ellison Williams, a Dan'l Boone pallbearer.
Frank Duveneck's birthplace;
12th and Greenup in Covington.
Frank Duveneck (1849-1919) may be Covington's most famous son.
A world renowned artist, you can find more about his work at this site.
You can get a short biography of Duveneck here.
You can see collections of his paintings at both the Mary Ann Mongan Library
in Covington, at Fifth and Scott, or at the Cincinnati Art Museum, in Mount Adams.
|Looking West on
from Craig St., 1930
|Boyhood home of
Daniel Carter Beard
|Southwest corner of Greenup
and Third, March 22, 1981
|Kenny's Parking at 224
Greenup, March 22, 1981
|The pdf's in the set below are all the work of Mr. Chuck Bricking, who published Covington Heritage in 1980. The book covers virtually all of Covington's landmark homes, and gives both biographical and architectural information on each. Good stuff.|
515 Russell St.
322 3rd St
326 E. Second St
|J. D. Shutt
26 West Sixth
|John B. Nienaber
327 Riverside Dr.
|Jonathon David Hearn
end of 5th Street at the Licking River
|Robert Knox Sumerwell
n.w. corner of Russell & Covington
|John R. Coppin
where the 9th district school is in Latonia
|Richard Pretlow Ernst
401 Garrard Street
|John White Stevenson
4th and Garrard
1041 Russell St.
|William E. Ashbrook
|John G. Carlisle
|Frederick A. Laidley
404 E. Second Street
412 East Second St.
18 E. Fourth Street
|Jess Root Grant
at the foot of Garrard
|Daniel Henry Holmes
Holmes High School site
405 E. Second Street
|Charles S. Fisk
East Second Street
|John Flavel Fisk
13 West 11th Street
|These are from a 1954 pictorial feature on a home in Kenton Hills belonging to Mr. and Mrs. Carl Wooton. Note the view of downtown Cincinnati in the porch scene in the upper left.|