North of Pike and Madison
|First Christian Church,
On 5th, just west of Madison
A Gothic Revival style from the architectural firm of Dittoe and Wisenall
|First Christian Church of Covington|
|Old stereoview of 4th Street
Churches, circa 1880
|First Presbyterian & First Baptist,
4th Street Covington, c. 1909
First Baptist (nearest the photographer)
was dedicated in 1873. Both of these
churches had the same architects:
Walter & Stewart
|“The First Presbyterian Church of Covington has abolished the rented pew system, and will depend hereafter solely upon voluntary contributions for means to defray the entire expenses of the church.” Courier-Journal, March 14, 1870|
|First Presbyterian was designed by Cincinnati's J. W. McLaughlin, and built by Covington's J. A. Walthall.|
History of Covington's First Presbyterian Church is here.
|These are all Trinity Church buildings. The frame building from 1842 was replaced by the brick structure of 1859. Additions and extensive remodeling to the 1859 building bring us to it's present look, which dates back to 1888.|
|unknown year||Trinity Episcopal,
Church, 1937 Flood
Mrs. Stephens L. Blakely wrote the Chronicles of Trinity for the Gist Society. Her essay is here. (pdf)
Frances Keller Barr wrote a short history of Trinity, here (pdf).
First Presbyterian, Covington
“Fourth Street Baptist,” Covington, 1909
It's really the First Baptist Church on Fourth Street
Designed by Walter and Stewart
Scott Street Methodist
|M. E. Church on Scott||Main Street M. E. Church
Main & 8th, Covington
Main Street Methodist
832 Willard, Covington
|Union M.E. Church,
5th & Greenup, Covington
Erected in 1867;
burned and rebuilt, 1947
Covington Methodist Episcopal legally established in 1842.
|First Church, 1863-1896||German Reformed
|German Protestant Church
Lockwood and Willard, c. 1900
from the historical marker: “Grace United Church of Christ. Organized as a Reformed Church and German
language day school. Cornerstone laid July 13, 1862. Victorian Gothic church second oldest in
Covington still used by the founding congregation. Dedicated Palm Sunday, 1863. Construction
interrupted when this area was threatened by Morgan's Raiders. Name of Grace Reformed Church
adopted during war in 1918. Abandoned in 1995.”
They converted from German to English services on April 28, 1918.
They changed their name to Grace reformed on December 1, 1918.
They re-wrote their constitution in 1919 “to meet the changing conditions.”
What changing conditions? Read Lisa Gillham's excellent article on anti-German hysteria in Covington during WWI, here. (pdf)
The very first Christmas tree
in Covington was said to been erected at the Immanuel Methodist
Episcopal Church, a frame building, in the 700 block of Craig Street, in 1855.
In 1926, the US Census Bureau counted church denominations
and their members. The Covington results are here.