South of Madison at Pike
|St. Luke Methodist Church
18th & Scott (n.e. corner)
|St. John's Episcopal
18th & Scott (n.e. corner)
From a Facebook post by Tricia Shawn Gibbons
|Same building; different time periods. We know it was St. John's German Episcopal in 1918, and we know it was St. Luke's Methodist in 1931, but are not clear on the “why” of the name change. We suspect, but haven't found, a relation to the WWI anti-German hysteria that swept Northern Kentucky and much of America.|
Scott Street Methodist Episcopal Church, South
Scott Street Methodist was at 530-32 Scott. The cornerstone was laid on August 13, 1843, and the building was
torn down in 1895. While Methodism in Covington split along North-South lines in the Civil War, this
congregation, after a number of detours, would eventually merge with Covington's First United Methodist Church.
|Madison Avenue Baptist
|Madison at Robbins,
dedicated June 15, 1913
an earlier building
Ninth Street Baptist
An African-American Church founded in 1869
Marcia D. Johnson has written about Ninth Street Baptist at this site.
| Immanuel Baptist Church,
Greenup & 20th in Covington
A German Methodist Church
|The New Immanuel Baptist Church
“The Proposed New Building”
History of St. James A.M.E. Church in Covington is here. (pdf)
|First Baptist Church, Ninth,
Between Scott & Greenup, A
few words on the history of this
church are here, and a longer
history is here. (pdf)
|Third Baptist Church
Southeast corner of
20th and Greenup
Madison Avenue Baptist
History of Madison Avenue Baptist (pdf)
Shinkle Baptist, thought to be 1913. 15th Street.
The Covington library's site has some background, here.
from a Facebook post by Greg Eyler
| Madison Avenue Presbyterian
(South of 9th St, Built in 1886,
merged with Lakeside Presbyterian
in 1961, and torn down in 1963)
between Robbins and 11th
Union Methodist Church, West Covington
D. Wendell Brown, Pastor
Origins of the one of the stained glass windows at Union Methodist
|St. Paul's Church, 11th and Banklick, Covington
The St. Paul's Evangelical Protestant Church was a German Church. The first story was built in 1861, the second story in 1867, and the tower was added in 1875. The congregation moved to Fort Wright in 1968.
More on the church's history is here, and here. (pdf)
|The first Bethany Lutheran
was upstairs over an undertaker
at 2214 Madison. They rented
two rooms for $20 per month
in September of 1931.
|On June 17, 1937, the church
bought this lot on Madison,
and erected the church
at the right.
|Here's the new church,
dedicated November 28,
1937, at 2201 Madison
|Interior of the new church.
It's the Free Pentecost
Church these days.
|Bethany Evangelical Lutheran Church. The History of Bethany Lutheran is here. (pdf)|
|n 1926, the US Census Bureau counted church denominations and their members. The Covington results are here.|
| Karl Vercouteren's History of the
German Churches of Covington,
both Catholic and Protestant, is here. (pdf)
| Mary Northington writes on the history
of Covington's Ninth Street United
Methodist Church, here. (pdf)
| The story of Immanuel Methodist,
on 10th and Russell, is here. (pdf)