|J. Wesley Lee's Clothing Store||Leonard & Lalley, Ranges, Stoves, & Tinware||Limestone Gas Company
from a Facebook post by Mark Humphries
|Read more about J. Wesley Lee,
Mayor of Maysville here.
|Limestone Lumber Co., 2nd and Commerce. More about Limestone Lumber here.|
|R. B. Lovel|
|Read more about
R. B. Lovel here
|Lane & Easton, Contractors & Builders||L. Langefels, Sanitary Plumbing, Etc||Luman, Exclusive Millinery|
|McClanahan And Shea's Hardware
and Stove Store, 1910
|McIlvain, Knox, & Diemer,
Undertakers & Furniture
|Thomas Malone & Co.|
|Read more about
McClanahan and Shea's here.
|Read more about Thomas
Malone & Co. here.
|C. L. Mains
“The Original Patented Pipeless Furnace”
2nd & Limestone
|Maysville Grocery Scene, 1953||Maysville Coal Co., The Best Grades of Coal“Leaders in Our Line”||Maysville Milling and Feed
Later, Alex Anderson's garage across from Ye Olde Dutch Inn.
A nice piece on the Maysville Milling and Feed Co is here. (pdf)
|“The Editor for the Maysville Whig Advocate has announced his determination to remove his printing establishment to Vicksburgh, Miss., where he intends to commence immediately the publication of a daily, semi-weekly, and weekly paper. The Advocate is discontinued.” from the Paris, Ky., Western Citizen, September 28, 1838||
“We have received the first number of the Maysville Sun, a handsome and spirited paper published and edited by L. A. Welch, late of the Maysville Bulletin. It is of course Democratic. We wish it full success” Courier-Journal, March 6, 1869
“The Maysville Sun has ceased publication. The continued ill health of its editor, Mr. Welch, has been one of the chief causes leading to the step.” Courier-Journal, June 14, 1869
|“The Maysville Eagle has a regular subscriber who commenced taking the paper in 1818.” Courier-Journal, January 9, 1874|
|“The Maysville Eagle has been published forty-nine years as a weekly, and thirty-two years as a tri-weekly. Mr. Davis has retired from the Eagle, leaving its sole conduct to Mr. Thos. M. Green” Louisville Daily Courier, January 8,1867|
|Maysville Stockyards, 1969
Maysville Iron and Metal
On the site of the first jail in Maysville
|The Maysville Ice Company||Myall & Calvert Undertakers
Means & Shields
|Read more about The Maysville
Ice Company here.
|from a Facebook post by Lisa Collins||
From a Facebook post by Loretta Olmstead
|Read more about the Merz Brothers here, and here.|
31 E. Second
|“Maysville, Ky., - March 1 - Moses, Daulton & Brothers' livery stable burned to-day, consuming 50 buggies, and 13 horses, including one animal valued at $4,000. Total loss, $20,000. Insurance, $2000.” from the New York Times, March 2, 1887|
|Myall & Co. Carriages|
|G. W. McDaniel & Co. Coal, Cement and Salt||Magnolia Flour Mills, Merchant Millers||Maysville Gas Company|
|Maysville Surprise Store, Galanty & Alper||The Maysville Foundry and Engineering Company||Maysville Manufacturing Company, Doors, Sashes, Etc.|
|Maysville Brick Company, High Class Brick||The Maysville Independent||Maysville Commercial Club|
|Ward Nash's Barber Shop
224 Market St. Ward Ellison Nash is in the center, Jacob Powers Nash on the far left.
|Nesbitt's Dry Goods||Newell's Livery Stable,
on W. 3rd, next to the old jail
|Office of “Our Leading Hotel.” On Lower Market St.||New York Store|
|Read more about The New Central Hotel here, and here.|
|“Claude Watkins, owner of the Whitehall Hotel, purchased the Central Hotel today and these two hotels will be consolidated, forming on of the largest hotels in Eastern Kentucky.” Louisville Courier Journal, April 23, 1923.||S. Straus, New York Store|
|J. P. Nash, First Class Barber||The Navarre Cafe,C. E. Martin, Prop.|
|E. K. Newell Paving|
|H. L. Newell, Simple and Fancy Groceries||Simon Nelson, Shirtmaker|
E. P. Browning next to an example of the largest split-wheel pulleys
made by Maysville's Ohio Valley Pulley Works, which opened in 1896.
|Ohio Valley Pulley Works
left, from a Facebook post by John Henderson
|A little more on the Ohio Valley Pulley Works, from 1910, is here. An item from 1935 is here.|
|Ohio Valley Millwork
Likely in the 1937 flood
|Frank Owens Hardware|
|Read more about Frank
|John O'Keefe, Toys & Confections||Frank P. O'Donnell, Attorney at Law||John Benson Orr|
|George W. Oldham, Reporter||Ohio River Lumber Company|
|Parker & Riley Livery Stable||John T. Parker, Livery
& Sale Stable, on Sutton
|Pearce & Foster, Ice|
|Read more about John
T. Parker here.
|The Pogue Distillery,
More here, and at this site.
J. W. Porter & Sons
|The Pogue Distillery, recently re-opened, has a history of its business at its web site.|
|Poyntz Bros. Wholesale Liquors||The Poyntz Distillery||Pogue and Poyntz
|Details about Poyntz Brothers at this site and here: Poyntz Brothers, Distillers|
|The Princess Ring, a roller skating rink, on East Second Street|
|W. F. Power, Stoves, Ranges, Tinware, Etc.||Pastime Theater|
|Ready Mix, in Parade Decor, c. 1953
from a Facebook post by Mark Humphries
|M. P. Redmond, Groceries||Rogers' Limestone
|G. W. Rogers Wholesale Liquors|
|Read more about M. P.
|Details about Rogers at this site.|
|The Right Spot, on Forest
from a Facebook post by Tom Roberson,
picture by his Mother, August, 1939
|Russell Broom Factory
|W. H. Ryder's Paint Store|
|from a Facebook post by Buddy Jacob Henderson|
|M. C. Russell Grocery Warehouses
M. C. Russell was the father of J. Barbour Russell.
Read more about J. Barbour here.
Read more about M.C. here.
|The Racket Store, L. H. Young & Co.||R. and W. Rasp, Galvanized Iron Work||Rain Brothers, Grain, Flour, Seeds, Etc.|
|Reed & Dawson,
|C. L. Rosenham, Insurance||J. H. Rogers, Distillery|
|W. H. Rees, Attorney at Law||Ryder Paint Store||Luther C. Reynolds, Attorney at Law|