|left, Maysville Christian Church
right, Maysville Baptist Church
|left, The Methodist Episcopal Church, South
right, The Methodist Episcopal Church
|Protestant Episcopal Church and
Rectory. The Oldest Church Building in
Maysville with a continuous congregation
|Central and First Presbyterian Churches
Central was where the Visitor Center is now.
|In 1855, a preacher speaks at the Presbyterian Church on The Temporal Power of the Pope Dangerous to the Religious and Civil Liberties of the American Republic. The 12 page screed is here (pdf).|
Bethel Baptist Church
Dedicated May 17, 1875
|German Lutheran Church,
1910. On West Second,
|Third street Methodist
Episcopal Church, 1910.
A note on their 1910
pastor is here.
|Church of the Nativity,
|Scott's M. E. Chapel, 1910.
A short piece on their pastor
from 1910 is here.
Harvesting Home Decorations at the First
Methodist Episcopal Church in Maysville, 1905
A newspaper article on Maysville's Central Methodist Church is here.
|“'The Mother of Churches,' historic Taylor Methodist Church, founded 14o years ago, will be dissolved August 23, 1942, and the present 109 year old church will be abandoned. . . .The church is in the district where the proposed floodwall is to be erected.” Louisville Courier-Journal, July 24, 1942.|
|“The new Presbyterian Church in Maysville, owned by the Assembly Division, was dedicated on Sunday. The church, though small, is very handsome, and cost $6,500.” Courier-Journal, March 26, 1869||
“The German Evangelical congregation of Maysville dedicated their new church on Sunday. The ceremonies were conducted by Rev. August Kimmel.” Courier-Journal, December 9, 1869
|“The Methodist Church South, at Maysville, insured for $2,600, was destroyed by fire on Sunday night. The fire communicated from some shops that were adjoining, and which were also consumed.” Cincinnati Enquirer, January 3, 1852|
“The members of the Maysville District Camp-meeting Association will hold their first annual camp meeting, on their grounds, fourteen miles from Maysville and two miles from Burtonville, Lewis county, Ky., commencing Wednesday, August 19. The grounds consist of 20 acres of woodland, and will be put in as complete order as possible
|“The Christians and Methodists of Maysville are arranging for a discussion between Rev. Mr. Ditzler and some leading man from the Christian Church. Ten days are to be consumed by the debate.” Courier-Journal, February 17, 1873|
|Mob burns Maysville African-American Church in 1841. Sketchy details here.|
|A few words on the history of Bethel Baptist are here.||A brief History of Scott M.E. Church is here. (pdf)|
|Christian Church, Maysville||Christian Church & Parsonage|
|1947. Kids are
Maysville Christian Church
from A History of the Christian Church, Maysville,
Kentucky by Braden and Runyon, 1948
|The first permanent home of the Christian Church was on West Third between Third and Fish (now Wall) Streets, and was built in 1836. By 1876, they needed a bigger building, and bought a home known as the Coburn Mansion, tore it down, and built the church shown above. It was dedicated in January 1887.|
|“Two of our most highly respectable ladies, visited the Baptist church (white) last Sunday, and occupied one of the back seats. They had been seated only a few minutes when the sexton, who by the way was colored, was ordered to tell them they would have to vacate, which they did. Now the dirtiest ‘poor white trash’ in Maysville, smelling as they do, of the grease and dirt of the cotton factory, can occupy pews right up under the noses of the ‘white folks,’ and they grin and bear it; but when educated, refined and cleanly dressed colored people dare to occupy a back pew, they are very soon hoisted out; but this is the first offense of its kind, to which our people have been subjected to, and causes not a little comment.” From Indianapolis’ The Freeman, An Illustrated Colored Newspaper, May 2, 1891.|
The Maysville Church of Christ
A Walking Tour: Historical Churches of Maysville is here. (pdf)