The C&O ran along the River, from Ashland to Covington.
The L&N ran to Paris, and beyond.
|The Old C&O Depot, Maysville||C & O Depot||The Old C&O Depot, Maysville|
|Before being used as a depot, it was the C. B. Pearce home, and was acquired for the depot on June 22, 1887.|
The “C & O Viaduct,” c. WWI
looking toward town.
|C & O Coal Docks, Maysville
From the collection of the Public Library
of Cincinnati and Hamilton County
|"Work is to begun at once by the Chesapeake & Ohio in the erection of large coal docks at Maysville, Ky., in order that the increasing demands of the road may be accommodated. The material for these docks is now on the ground and the works of construction will be begun in a few days. The docks are to be built for the purpose of facilitating the work of coaling locomotives. When the new coaling station is completed it will be one of the largest along the line of the C. & O. Some time ago the Chesapeake & Ohio acquired a considerable parcel of land east of Maysville, Ky., and it is upon this property that the new coal docks are to be built. The materials to be used in the construction of the docks will be wood, iron and steel." from Fuel Magazine: The Coal Operators Weekly, 1910|
|“The C. &O. coal docks, which cost the company about $50,000 several years ago, situated just at the eastern outskirts of the city, to-day were transferred to Concord, fifteen miles above. Several months ago the docks were burned, and the company decided to rebuild at a more convenient place. The change causes a loss of more than $2,000 per month in salaries in Maysville.” From the Louisville Courier Journal, June 18, 1919|
|C & O Passenger Train|| New C & O Depot, circa 1930.
This became the depot on October
16, 1918. Story's here.
| New C & O Depot,
|President Eisenhower's Funeral
Train passes thru Maysville,
April 1, 1969
If you have an interest in steam and diesel locomotives of the Chesapeake and Ohio,
images of which may or may not have been taken in this area are here.
The Maysville & Big Sandy
a forerunner to the C & O
|C. & O. 7047, and EMD F7A, in 1951
Taken near Springfield, Ill.
|C. & O. 4002, an Unit, in 1963
Taken near Newport News,Va.
TTI in Maysville, October, 1982
|“A locomotive on the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad that pulls the Maysville and Cincinnati accommodation train, bursted its boiler, on May 20th, just after its arrival in Maysville, Ky. Alfred Maddox, the engineer, was sitting in the cab at the time. He was thrown fifty feet and received injuries from which it is believed that he can not recover. The bell of the locomotive and pieces of the boiler were found a quarter of a mile away.”Locomotive, Vol. 19-20, 1898.|
|By 1911, the C&O was double-track, virtually all the way from Maysville to Cincinnati.||The first Pullman's (Wikipedia) came to Maysville on July 10, 1889.|
|An account of a 1907 train wreck in Maysville is here.||There's also an account of a train wreck from 1890, here, and a follow-up, here.|