Mays Lick Christian
Records show that as early as 1831, the Christian church at Mays Lick, Kentucky, met every first day of the week to partake of the Lord’s Supper.
At first, the meetings were held in an old stone schoolhouse. By 1841 the congregation was worshipping in its own church building, a plain rectangular, brick structure, fifty feet wide and seventy feet long. At the front were two doors, with the pulpit between them, so that people entered facing the congregation. In the rear there were about thirty Negro brethren, some slave, some free, and 256 white members.
Walter Scott was the first full time preacher, the most famous of thirty or more who have since served this church. He preached his last sermon her April 11, 1852, but in 1855 he returned to marry his third wife and lived here the remainder of his life.
The Scott house is still well preserved and is frequently visited by those in search of Disciple history.
In 1891, just fifty years from the time of its erection, the church building was remodeled. On the cornerstone is the inscription: Built 1841 – Remodeled 1891.
The main walls and the east-to-west ridge of the roof were retained, but gables were added on the north and south to make room for the arch of stained glass. There are two entrances and the room between was used for Sunday school assembly, prayer meeting and smaller gatherings.
In 1934 the bequest of a former church member made possible the building of classrooms in the previously unfinished upstairs, and a dining room and kitchen in the basement. At this time concrete walks were added to the other improvements.
In 1939 another former member made a gift in memory of his mother which enabled the church members to decorate the interior walls, woodwork and pews, provide hardwood floors, rugs and runners, rebuild the baptistery, pipe water into the church, buy dishes, silverware, linens and many other useful items.
By 1911 the parsonage was purchased. It was a colonial brick structure built by Louis Wernway, architect and bridge builder.
This church organized the first Christian Endeavor Society in this section of the country. One of the members was later ordained for the ministry. In 1876 a mite society was organized, which later grew into the Ladies Aid Society. In 1886 a C.W.B.M. auxiliary was formed with four charter members. This in time grew into the missionary society and today is known as the Christian Woman’s Fellowship.
We have one third generation Christian member from that original number and the church continues to carry on a helpful program both at home and abroad.
For many years the fifth Sunday offering had gone to the Kentucky Widows’ and Orphans’ Home.
In 1871 W. J. Loos, a graduate of Bethany, became pastor and ministered to the church for twelve years. In 1913, he returned to this church, and served another twelve years, his first and last pastorates. F. M. Tincher served here for nine years. George P. Taubman served two years and in 1898 organized the Junior Christian Endeaver. George Darsie who comes from a long line of preachers labored here for six years. During his ministry the parsonage was remodeled. He created an interest in Boy Scout work that had a wholesome effect.
Others have come and gone, each making worthwhile contributions to the ongoing of the kingdom of God. The present minister is Howard J. Dentler, a gifted, consecrated young man, who took over the work the first of September. Untiring in his efforts, he is reviving the members and pushing on to greater accomplishments in the name of Him whom we all love and serve.
From Front Rank, a magazine of the Christian Church, April 8, 1956. There’s no author credited.