A village of 500 inhabitants, settled in 1787, and incorporated 1837. It is located in the southwestern part of Mason county, 12 miles from Maysville, the county seat, 215 by river from Russellville, and 4 1/2 miles from Helena Station, on the Maysville and Lexington R.R., its nearest shipping point. The village has six churches, Presbyterian, Baptist, Christian, Catholic, and two Colored, (Baptist and Methodist), an academy and a select female school. The shipments from here consist chiefly of tobacco, grain, hemp and livestock. Stage to Maysville. Daily mail. R.R. Myall, postmaster.
Archdeacon, Matthew, grocer and saddler.
Benz, George, shoemaker.
Clary, Joshua, blacksmith.
Duke, B.C., Physician.
Hickey, Rev., (catholic.)
Hopper, T.P., livery stable.
Jackson, J.A., hotel and general store.
Lalley, Thomas, blacksmith.
LaRue, John, Dry Goods.
Loos, Elder W.J., (christian.)
McMillan, George A., tailor.
Meisner, August, grocery and saloon.
Myall, Edward, carriagemaker.
Myall, George, druggist and grocer.
Myall, Jonas, blacksmith.
Myall, Richard R., general store.
Nicholson, William, blacksmith, undertaker.
Palmer, Benjamin, livery.
Parry, H.L., Physician.
Price, Rev., (presbyterian).
Riley, Rev. M.M., (baptist).
Walton, John, grocery and saloon.
Wheatley, R.R., physician.
Williams, John, Physician.
This info is from the Kentucky State
Gazetteer and Business Directory, published in 1876-77 by R. L. Polk in
Louisville. Items in bold were bolded in the original