North Fork / Lewisburg
A village situated on the north fork of Licking river, in the southeastern part of Mason county, 8 miles from Maysville, the county seat, and 200 from Louisville. It is a station on the Maysville & Lexington R.R., known as Marshall; the village itself, however, is better known by its original name, Lewisburg. It was settled in 1800 and incorporated in 1850. It contains 2 grist mills--one steam and one water power--two churches--Baptist and Methodist--a public and high school. Its shipments are principally grain, hemp, tobacco and live stock. Telegraph, Western Union. Express, Adams. Daily mail. Population, 150. G.F. Bateman, postmaster.
Bateman, Mrs. M.L., tailoress.
Bateman, G.F. & Bro., General Store.
Chappel, C., carpenter.
Datson, Will., wagonmaker.
Davis, Alfred, stone mason.
Dobyns, Will., physician.
Enochs, Will., blacksmith.
Epperheart, D.D., carpenter.
Hall, C.J., principal high school.
Keyes, Eld. C. (baptist).
Keyes, Miss Eliza, teacher.
Kyle, Mrs. S.E., General Store.
Lee, Jackson, shoemaker.
Marshall, A.K., general store, express and station agent.
Marshall, S.L., physician.
Singleton, T.L., carpenter.
Stephens, J., Blacksmith.
Tuggle, John, blacksmith.
This info is from the Kentucky State
Gazetteer and Business Directory, published in 1876-77 by R. L. Polk in
Louisville. Items in bold were bolded in the original