An incorporated village of about 500 inhabitants, and one of the oldest in the State, located in the central part of Mason county, 4 miles from Maysville, the county seat and nearest shipping point, and 198 by rail or 207 by river from Louisville. It contains 6 churches-- Presbyterian, Methodist, Baptist Reform and two colored, two high schools and one public. The principal exports are tobacco, wheat and live stock. Stage to Maysville, Mt. Olivet, Carlisle and May's Lick. Daily mail. George Taylor, postmaster.
Barnes, J., physician.
Bickley, Wm., hotel.
Hiner, Rev. W., (methodist).
Hunter, Alexander, physician.
Hunter, Robert, general stsore.
Moore, Rev. J.H., (presbyterian).
Ryan, Joseph, grocery and saloon.
Taylor, George, general store.
Wood, H.W., dry goods.
This info is from the Kentucky State
Gazetteer and Business Directory, published in 1876-77 by R. L. Polk in
Louisville. Items in bold were bolded in the original