Four miles south of Maysville in the town of Washington, early county seat, stands this quaint antebellum Methodist church. On a stone in the front wall is this inscription: “Methodist Episcopal church, south, 1848.” At Louisville in May, 1845 was formed the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, which terminated a long-standing controversy over slavery and a squabble over slave-holding Bishop James Osgood Andrew of the Kentucky Conference. The Washington church was organized that year, and three years later this church [building] was built. In its pulpit stood some outstanding men of Southern Methodism. H. c. Wright, W. H. Greer, T. B. Cook, and W. B. Welborn occupied the pulpit in the 1880’s and 1890’s. Bishop U. V. W. Darlington of the Kentucky Conference began his ministry here; his pastorate extended from 1898 through 1902. Following Bishop Darlington was the Rev. John J. Dickey, who later established Lees Junior College in Breathitt County. Other preachers who began their careers at Washington Methodist included William E. Arnold, J. D. Redd, and F. S. Pollitt. Later ministers were George Froh, 1904-05; B. F. Cosby, 1905-06; William B. Hall, 1906-08; S. F. Wilson, 1909-11; L. R. Hollon, 1911-15; Seamore L. Hockenberry, 1915-16; Eugene W. Ishmael, 1917-19; Robert M. Lee, 1919-21; W. P. Hopkins, 1922-23; Elmer E. Stauffer, 1923-24; Enos Waggoner, 1924-27; E. K. Kidwell, 1928-29; Frank C. King, 1930; Oakley Lee, 1931-34; John s. Howard, 1935-37; Royal M. Baldwin, 1939-53; James A. Norsworthy, 1953-55; Edward P. Swann, 1955-60; and Robert C. Mynear, pastor since June, 1960. On its 100th anniversary, a new education building was dedicated. The “M. E. Church, south” was changed to the Methodist Church when the two factions united in 1939.
From unknown source