“Settled in the late 18th century by two brothers named Williams, from Maryland, Monterey was originally known as Williamsburg. When the first post office was established (July 1,1816), it was called Mouth of Cedar Creek, in August 1825 shortened to just Cedar Creek. The name of the post office was changed to Monterey on February 23, 1847, and the town was officially chartered a week later with the same name. The name change was almost certainly in commemoration of the recent battle of the Mexican War.” From Robert Rennick’s Kentucky Bluegrass: A Survey of the Post Offices, Vol. II.
|These are both represented to us as Monterey Schools, but
are obviously different buildings. In the days of one-room schools, it's
entirely possible that one is “the” school in Monterey, and the other is
quite near. Or maybe not. . .