A post village of Owen county, situated on the Kentucky river and Cedar creek, at lock and dam no. 8, and on a stage route 10 miles south south-west from Owenton, the capital of the county, 70 miles south southwest of Covington, 60 miles east north-east from Louisville, and by stage routes, 18 miles north from Frankfort, 18 from New Liberty, 46 from Warsaw, 40 from Ghent, and 6 from Saren.

  The village contains one steam flouring mill, two hotels, three stores, two physicians, two magistrates, one carpenter, two blacksmiths, one boot and shoe maker, one carriage and wagon maker, one gunsmith, and one mason and builder.  Population 76.  Post office established in 1841.

Business Directory

Byrnes, J. D. steamboat agent
Calvert, S. B. probate judge and geneal merchant
Duvall, A. P. magistrate
Duvall, J. E. physician and surgeon
Greenell, J. B. blacksmith
Harden, G. W. marshall
Hardin & Brother general merchants
Harner, D. blacksmith
Hiten, C. postmaster
Hiten & King carpenter and builders
Hughes, Samuel boot and shoe maker and dealer
Jones, W. H. physician 
Lee, R. M. surveyor and civil engineer
Monterey House Robert Sanford, proprietor
Prentiss, L. S. steam flouring mill proprietor
Sanders, John shingle maker
Sanford, Robert proprietor Monterey House and general merchant
Sparks, A. G. magistrate
Vallandingham, H. C. general merchant




From George W. Hawes’ Kentucky State Gazetteer and Business Directory, for 1859 and 1860