roads and bridges

Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky
South Main Street,
 Leaving Falmouth
A residential section
 of Falmouth, 1910

The big issue on the streets of Falmouth in 1877? Mud.

Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky
Lake View,
Looking South
Lake View, Looking
West [on Shelby],
Falmouth, 1926
Lake View was a hotel, a bus stop, and the scene of many a dance. Tom Lovelace was the proprietor. It burned down in early spring of 1928

new

Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky
North End of the
 County Bridge, Falmouth
Horse Shoe Curve, Oetzel Hill,
Dixie Highway, 2 miles west
of Falmouth, c. 1925
Licking Valley Looking
South from View Point,
Near Falmouth

 

Falmouth, Kentucky

Dixie Highway, Oetzel Hill, West of Falmouth, 1926
“Miss Emma DeWalt, Tiffin, Ohio,  Dear Emma, This is the fifth shower we have been in, and
it's still raining.  We are staying in Falmouth tonight. Wouldn't want to live in this part of 
Kentucky.  Beulah.”

new

Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky

“We present here a picture of the Little Iron Bridge, over High Street at Shelby, which is the main entrance to “Egypt” and “Mt. Sinai.”  It is also a very popular place on mid-summer evenings for lovers to seek its recluse, and, in the soft, mellow moonlight, 'talk matters over.'” Falmouth Outlook, September 27, 1907

    A 1909 piece on the Little Iron Bridge, and a few rules from the workhouse, here (pdf)
(from the Pendleton County Historical and Genealogical Society)

new

Falmouth, Kentucky Strizght Shoot Pike Pike Street Bridge  
County Bridge, at the end of
Pike St., off West Shelby
Pike Street Bridge in Falmouth  
  This picture, and many more outside the area covered
by NKY Views, are from the Facebook page
Kentucky's Covered Bridges-A Baker's Dozen
   
The US 27 Bridge replaced the Pike Street Bridge. Read about it here.

 

Falmouth, Kentucky .Falmouth, Kentucky
Before and After Bridges on US 27 over the South Licking Where the covered bridge was

 

new

The crossing at the main Licking has a long history. First there was a ferry, operated by a man named Oldham. Then came a suspension bridge. We know it was open by March of 1853, and was in use until 1868, when it fell in the river from disrepair. Most people preferred to ford the river than to risk using the bridge by that point anyway. It was succeeded by a covered bridge, of which there are numerous pictures below. It burned down on September 23, 1926. A free ferry was implemented until the new iron bridge could be put in place. The new bridge was dedicated on March 17, 1927. For a detailed history of this bridge, we'd direct you to a wonderful history of the bridge that the Outlook ran in it's 1928 Bridge edition, to celebrate the opening of the iron bridge. It's here (pdf). Also in the bridge edition, the Rev. J. H. Moore remembers the ferry and the old bridges, here.

 

Shoemaker Map

This 1891 map shows Shoemaker's Mill, which is why that area is called Shoemaker town.

frill

“The Suspension bridge over main Licking, at Falmouth, Pendleton county, has been so seriously damaged by the high water, as to render it wholly impassable. The abutments first sank and then burst open, displacing the floor of the bridge and rendering the whole structure useless. It cannot even be repaired. The bridge was built by private enterprise only two years ago, at a cost of about $60,000. ”
From the Louisville Daily Courier, March 22, 1854

frill

Falmouth
Panoramic View of Falmouth 
You're looking at an aerial view of Falmouth, with the Shoemaker Town/Rt. 22 Bridge featured. You can read a remarkably detailed description (pdf) of the scene in the Falmouth Outlook from March 23,1928. The Outlook ran a special edition that day in honor of this bridge's replacement, so this pdf also includes a history of some of the politicians, and political shenanigans of the day. Good stuff.

An account of the burning of the covered bridge over the Licking is here. (pdf)
(from the Pendleton County Historical and Genealogical Society)

A couple got married on the bridge as part of the celebration of the new bridge opening. Their story is here.

In the week before the opening, there was a suicide, as one man jumped from the yet unopened bridge.

Ferry Licking Ferry
The burning of the bridge - and access to the Ohio River - was such an inconvenience that the community supported a free ferry until the new bridge could be opened. These images are 1927-1928. Story of the free ferry is here, and a description of it, after its demise, is here.

 

Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky
New Iron and
 Concrete Bridge,
a.k.a. “The Blue Bridge”
Main Falmouth Bridge,
 Falmouth, 1916

    

Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky

The State Highway Department published these pictures of the New Bridge in 1928.
Note the ferry in the “before” shot on the left.

new

   
Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky
Brian Gregg contributed these photo's of the 1964 flood in Falmouth on Hayes Station Road. This bridge crosses over the South Licking River. It has since been replaced. Pictures were taken by Brian's Grandpa Stanley Bishop. Thanks, Brian.

 

Falmouth, Kentucky Falmouth, Kentucky
Lovers Lane, Falmouth, 1909
(“..Days perfect and
 so are the people”)
The Covington - Falmouth
 Road, somewhere in
Pendleton County, c. 1927

new

In 1984, a concrete truck fell thru the Hays Station Bridge. The Falmouth Outlook ran a story
on the event, here, and used the event to print a history of the bridge, here.

new

The 1915-1919 report on Pendleton County Roads, here.

new