|Booker & Humphrey Filling
Station, Cynthiana Pike
|Bob's Service Station, c. 1938
Corner of Main & Second, Route 22
Bob Hampton owned it; Dick Jacob ran it.
|Shell Station, 1973
Gene Faulkner, Carlis McDowell and Jim Morrison.
|M. S. Myers Machine Shop
from a Facebook post by Greg Justice
|Solomon Goldberg's Store.
Adults are Sol and Jenny, parents
of long-time Falmouth mayor Max Goldberg
from a Facebook post by Jackie Vaughn
|R. W. Lemmon's Carriage Shop, c. 1910.
Later the site of Charles Lemmon's
Chrysler-Plymouth, now part of the Baptist
Church's parking lot.
from a Facebook post by R. W. Lemmon's great-grandson, Joe Lemmon
The Ice Man, Ernest Franklin Sharp
from the Pendleton Co Picture Hub,
from Suzan Colbert Taylor
|Tobacco Coming to Market
|Falmouth Livery Stable
On the Main Licking,
near Barr's Branch
Falmouth, circa 1915
|Falmouth Outlook, 1922||Warren Shonert, long-time
publisher of the Outlook
||J. B. Woolery
|The above three banker pictures were accompanied by this story, about them,
and the banks in Falmouth they worked for.
Remember the Falmouth Branch of the Commonwealth of Kentucky Bank?
Details on the four locally owned Pendleton County Banks, in 1907, are here.
|Citizens Bank Building on Shelby.
Later, The Falmouth Deposit Bank
|J. Risk Meek
We've known some bankers who were
meek at taking risks, but we never met
one who was named that. c. 1903.
The Falmouth Pendleton Bank of Falmouth closed due to a run on the bank in 1931. Story here.
The Falmouth Deposit Bank was established in 1876.
|Bank Notes from the First National Bank of Falmouth||front||back|
“The Pulltight Tattler is the name of a fast and loose paper which has made an appearance in Pendleton county, Kentucky.” Indianapolis News, October 3, 1874
The Weekly Guide was a pre-Civil Ware paper in Falmouth
|Falmouth Saw Mill burns in 1909, read about it here.||Description of Held's Bike & Jewelry Store, circa 1898, here.|
|“The Falmouth council has passed an ordinance closing all business houses on Sunday.” Louisville Courier-Journal, May 28, 1882|
|“The distillery of Dr. McMahon, on main Licking, near Falmouth, in Pendleton county, was destroyed by fire on Tuesday morning about 1 o'clock. The fire was supposed to be the work of an incendiary.” from the Courier-Journal, January 20, 1870||In 1874 Falmouth is noted as having gone dry. In 1880, there are reports of 9 saloons open and more on the way. Stories here.|
|“The distillery of Dr. McMahon, on Main Licking, near Falmouth, in Pendleton county was destroyed by fire Tuesday morning about four o'clock. The fire was supposed to be the work of an incendiary.” the Carrollton Democrat, January 22, 1870|| “The Falmouth Electric Light and Motive-Power Company, of Falmouth, Ky.,
has been incorporated with a capital stock of $30,000. J. C.
Hamilton, J. W. Thompson, J. N. Riggle and others incorporators.”
from an issue of Light, Heat and Power, April 3, 1890
|“A young gentleman from the country, evidently of a sporting nature, walked into Mr. Smith’s blacksmith shop one day last week, and while standing near the anvil, upon which Mr. Smith was welding some iron, a spark, it is supposed, found its way into the side-pocket of his cot, setting fire to a quarter if a pound of gunpowder, which exploded with a terrific noise. The force of the explosion, together with his own exertions, blew the young man about 20 feet in a very cunning position. No serious injury.” From the Falmouth Independent, as reprinted in the Covington Journal, May 11, 1872|
|Willie McGee, 1969, in the Kennett Tavern Building||“The Trolley, Four Miles South of
Falmouth, Kentucky on U.S.
Highway 27. We Specialize in
a.k.a. the Golden Rule Trolley, and run by N. S. and Goldie McKinley
|Carl M. Frazer's Buick Dealership
|Godman's Garage and Restaurant,
US 27. The building was originally
on W. Shelby and was moved when
they put in the “new” 27.
|Conrad's Hardware, earlier, Barnes Hardware
from Facebook posts by Greg Justice
|Weaver's Supply and Feed, on Montjoy
from a Facebook post by Greg Justice
|This is an AP Wire photo of the 1964 flood in Falmouth. Keep in mind that the dog is standing on top of an automobile. Billy Thompson is the photographer. Warner's Store Garage on US 27 and Barkley St., later it became Pic-N-Pac|
|Both of these, the past and the future, next to each other, in the February 16, 1917 Falmouth Outlook.|
|Studebaker's available at J. J. Austin's||Pontiac's and Victory's at Lemmon's Garage|
In front of Shoemaker Chevrolet, February 4, 1938
looking toward Shelby on Main
from a Facebook post by Ben Wolfe
|Booher's sells Whippets||Shoemaker sells Chevy's||Pendleton Auto sells Chryslers|
“The second number of the first volume of the Pendleton Press, published in Falmouth, comes to
us this week. The paper is one of the largest in the State, and, if its future issues be as good as
the one front of us, it deserves encouragement from the citizens of Pendleton county.”
Courier-Journal, November 15, 1870
“J. R. Williams, who has purchased the Falmouth Guide, will change the name of the paper to the Pendletonian.”
Courier-Journal, February 28, 1898
“A new weekly paper,to be called The Falmouth Independent will be issued July 27th,
and every week thereafter, at Falmouth. Jas. A. Wondelohr is editor and proprietor. The Independent
will, as its name implies, be independent in all things” Courier-Journal, July 21, 1871
|Fishers Motel||Fishers Motel and Restaurant
The restaurant to this motel was
later named the “Stop and Tell.” It and
the motel were both torn down
in September of 1993.
|Fishers Garage & Chevrolet Dealership
US 27 in Falmouth
|An ad for Falmouth's Weekly Guide, from 1885.
“Independent in All things; neutral in nothing”
|Attorney's envelopes, c. 1894
Lithography was more artistic
before they invented computers . . .
from the Covington Journal, October 27, 1848
|Falmouth had three hotels in the 1930's - the Phoenix,
the LLL, and Shelby. Each had about 16 rooms.
|The Koch Hotel was torn down in
1964. Story's here. (pdf)
|Read about Falmouth's
Phoenix Hotel, here. (pdf)