|The man with the blue dot is Walter Clark, longtime Demossville Station Agent. The man with the red dot is L & N Conductor C. C. Regan. These folks are waiting on Train 38, a local to Cincinnati, in the summer of 1909.|
Believed to be Demossville
The Demossville L & N Depot
The 1914 L&N Shippers' Guide had this description of Demossville.
|On the Grassy Creek Bridge, 1912
from the Pendleton Co Picture Hub,
from Mark Allen Black
|On Straight Shoot Road over Grassy Creek|
The Kentucky Highway Department published these pictures of Grassy Creek in its 1927 Report.
|A Pair of descriptions of Demossville from 1897 are here.||Sharon Rice's History of Demossville is here. (pdf)||Carter's Chapel United Methodist has a web site with a history of the church and some nice old pictures, here.|
|“Chas. Paine, who announced himself an abolitionist of the blackest character, was driven away at twenty minutes’ notice from Demossville, Pendleton county, Ky., on Saturday. Kentucky is a very unhealthy State for Abolitionists of the ‘blackest character.’” From the Louisville Daily Courier, December 14, 1859|
|Civil War comes to Demossville - read it here, here ,here, here, and here.|
|Dangerous Women in Demossville? More here.||Prehistoric tooth found in Demossville.||Demossville Fire, in 1876. Read about it, here.|
| "In the past week our town [Demossville] has been live with amusements.
We are agreeably surprised by the arrival of N. Teets European
Combination Troupe, with his numerous clowns, varying in age
from five to twenty-five. They performed two nights, giving as
interesting entertaining, of that kind, as we have ever
witnessed. They will give an extensive “show” at Pond Creek, on
the 17th of April."
Newport Local, March 21, 1878
|“We learn that a locality on Grassy Creek, in Pendleton county, has been severely afflicted. About two weeks ago the cholera and flux broke out simultaneously in a malignant form. In a short time from forty to fifty deaths, or about one-third of the entire population of the neighborhood, had died of one or the other of these diseases. At last account the sickness still prevailed, but with some abatement of its virulence.” From the Covington Journal, August 23, 1851.|
|Demossville officially became a town by an act of the legislature on March 3, 1860.|
|DeMossville preacher issues a challenge, here.||“A DeMossville philanthropist sells crackers at ten cents apiece, and throws in a drink of whiskey.” Courier Journal, December 1, 1876|
|Demossville goes dry, in 1871.||History of Demossville is here.|
|“May 16, 1870. - There was a large temperance meeting at the three Forks of Grassy Creek, on yesterday, at which speeches were made by J. C. Taylor and S. T. Wall, of Covington, Rev. Orson Long, and several others. The good things of life were plentiful and freely distributed, and some thirty odd were added to the Demossville Reform Club. My informant declares it to have been the most spirited movement which he has witnessed for a great many years in temperance affairs” from the Cincinnati Daily Enquirer, May 17, 1870|
|“A murder took place June 11 near Demossville, Pendleton County, Ky. It appears that two brothers, by the name of RYAN, got into a quarrel over their whiskey, when TIM (one of the them) took down his gun and attempted to shoot the other, but fortunately the gun was prematurely discharged, the load passing through the roof of the house instead of taking effect as was intended. A scuffle then ensued, when the gun was broken in two at the breach, Tim, holding the barrel in his hand, with which he struck his brother in the head two or three times, fracturing his skull and resulting in his death. Tim was subsequently arrested, and taken to Falmouth and lodged in jail. He confessed to the deed, and said it should have been done a long time ago.” From the New York Times of June 21, 1859, reprinting an article from the Louisville Courier.|
“At Falmouth, Hansford Yates, Peter McClanahan, Joe Stites, and G. Williams, of Grassy Creek,
were arrested as coiners of counterfeit money. Williams escaped from his captors.”
from the Maysville Republican, July 7, 1877