from Facebook post of Todd Knauss and the Pendleton County Historical & Genealogical Society
|note from Hutte & Co.,
of Carntown, 1902
Carntown, a.k.a. Stepstone
from a Facebook post by
Victoria Romito Davis-Cook
|Carnes & Iler Distillery,
Thanks to Donna Hoffman for sending me this piece on the history of Carntown.
The Rev. Paul Ryan's History of Stepstone's Immaculate Conception is here.
|The Carntown USPO was once located in this store
from a Facebook post by Jim Deaton
|Old Log Home in Carntown
|This is Jimmie Colgrove's Garage and Store in Carntown.
John Henderson originally submitted these two to the Kentucky Explorer.
|Bokara Seed Farms,
|A tobacco field
outside of Falmouth
|L & N Foreman's Home,
|This general store was operated by Elmer Ewing, until 1915 when he sold the store and moved to Panhandle, Texas. The old store building was located near Goforth, in rural Pendleton County, KY. On May 5, 1908 Short Creek Church was struck by lightening & burned to the ground. The church had no insurance, so it was a total loss. Services were held in the second floor hall at the store until the new church was built. At some point, it was known as the Perry Store. from a Pinterest post by the Pendleton County Public Library|
Kincaid Lake State Park, c. 1972
| “Blanket Creek, Pendleton County – Quite a village is spring up in this
neighborhood, and we bespeak for it a lively place soon, for, two
weeks hence, we will be able to boast of a church, school house,
Good Templars Hall, blacksmith shop, “pill shop,” dry good store and
a millinery store.”
From Covington’s Daily Commonwealth, May 6, 1879
|“A new post office in Pendleton. Messrs. Editors: Let me introduce Postmaster Colonel Pribble, of Pribble’s Cross Roads, Mt. Auburn, Kentucky” The Colonel will doubtless make as worthy an official as he is a popular gentleman.” From Covington’s Daily Commonwealth, September 2, 1879.|
|The people of the Gardnersville vicinity have been much alarmed and surprised at the idea of Stanley Bailey and E. M. Caldwell being arrested and fined for killing a deer. We do not know who the deer belonged to, but we do know that there are no wild deer in the State of Kentucky.” Falmouth Outlook, February 16, 1917.|
|Lenoxburg women threaten a saloonist, here.|
|“The Board of Directors of the Falmouth & McKinneysburg Telephone company met last Saturday and passed a ruling that all conversations over their lines shall be limited to five minutes. The manager of the telephone exchange was instructed to enforce this ruling without favor.” Falmouth Outlook, March 9, 1917|
Bunker Hill School, on the 3L
|Turner Ridge Baptist Church, 1922
from a Facebook post by Susan Booher Gibson
Destroyed by a tornado
from a Facebook post by Rick Brown
Church, c. 1900
from a Facebook post by the Pendleton
County Historical and Genealogical Society
Pleasant Ridge Church
|Inside the Roanoke Church, on Gumlick Road, c. 1940
from Pinterest posts by Debbie Mann McCandless
|Straight Shoot Pike, over
Grassy Creek, spring, 1952.
|The Bowers Bridge Co. builds the
Straight Shoot Pike Bridge, 1907.
That's Louis Bower on the right.
|These two pictures, and many more outside the area covered by NKY Views, are from the
Facebook page Kentucky's Covered Bridges-A Baker's Dozen
|Bachelor's Rest, J. L Cummins general store from a Facebook post by No Place Like Home||Walter Cassius “Cash” McMillian's huckster truck, 1915. Details here.||Walter Cassius “Cash” McMillian's general store and huckster wagon, 1913. from the Pendleton County Ky Historical and Genealogical Society|
Kentucky Legislature outlaws spirituous or malt beverages in Bachelor's Rest.
Jim Deaton looks back at Bachelors Rest.
Covered Bridge on Straight Shoot Pike, destroyed by arson in 1953
The painting on the left is by Ed Woerner
|Oakland Christian Church
from Facebook postings by Rick Brown
|The Knoxville Christian Church.
This church burned c. 1955, and the
replacement to that church was hit by
lightening, on Sunday, August 5, 1991.
|The Knoxville Baptist Church.
The Baptist Church was founded in 1877.
This building burned to the ground on July 7,
1966, and the present Church was rebuilt
at the same location.
“Knoxville, Ky., December 26 - A petition in bankruptcy was filed in the United States Court here to-day by Melvin E. Thompson and his brother, who were formerly in business here. The liabilities are $198,000; assets, $128,000. Melvin E. Thompson was twice mayor of Knoxville.” Indianapolis News, December 26, 1900
|Knoxville was incorporated as an official city by the Kentucky Legislature on May 12, 1884.|
|“Dr. Newton passed 27 rebels near Knoxville, [Pendleton County] Ky., at 8 o'clock this morning. A force of 400 rebels under Major Van Hook, of Morgan's staff were following them. They crossed the turnpike at Tucker, six miles north of Williamstown, at 6:30 P. M. yesterday. They said their destination was Owen county , where they expect to be largely reinforced. Dr. Newton saw a good many more en route to join this force.” The Weekly Vincennes Western Sun, June 18, 1864|
|There was a Knoxville Methodist Church, which, after it dissolved, found some Ludlow guys trying to steal it. The whole building. Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.||
“Samuel Bowman attempted to beat his wife at Knoxville, Ky., with a broom because his breakfast was not ready in time. She seized a knife, and stabbed him seven times, inflicting fatal wounds.” Bloomington (Ind.) Telephone, September 6, 1884
“In 1877 the western border area around Knoxville in Pendleton County wanted to join Grant County on the pretense that most of its inhabitants worked in Williamstown, but Pendletonians resisted the attempt because too much territory would be lost (thirty-five square miles) they also claimed that the maneuver was simply a Republican gerrymander. In the end the effort failed.” from Robert Ireland's Little Kingdoms: The Counties of Kentucky
|The news from Knoxville, here, and here.||There's also a town in Boyle County Kentucky that is/was known as Knoxville.|
|“The hall at Knoxville, erected by a joint stock company, and in which the Odd Fellows, Masons, Grangers, and Good Templars held their regular meetings, was destroyed by fire on Thursday night last. Loss, $3,000; no insurance” from The Ticket, a Covington newspaper, January 22, 1876|
|Short Creek Baptist at Goforth burns;
is rebuilt. Story is here.
|Goforth School, 1969|
|Robert's Garage, 1969||Dee's Grocery, Locust Grove, 1969|
|Boston was the home of the The Licking River Lumber and Mining Company. Some of the downstate folks didn't care for their tactics. Read more here.||There's a history of Catawba here. (pdf)|
|In 1882, the New York Times ran a story about a man in Boston, Ky. whose three daughters all got married there on the same day. Full details here. (pdf)||“Browningsville, in Pendleton county, was the scene of another shooting affray yesterday between two doctors, partners, in which Dr. VanHook shot and seriously wounded his partner, Dr. Riggs. The quarrel was occasioned by a dispute about a bill, and angry words followed, resulting as above. The ball entered in such a manner as will probably prove fatal.” from the Covington Ticket, October 16, 1877.|
|The Bethel Church & Cemetery have their own web site, here.||Goforth leads the way, here.|
|History of Pleasant Hill Christian Church is here.||History of the Concord Church is here. (pdf)|
|Lenoxburg was incorporated as an official city by the Kentucky Legislature on April 24, 1882, in an act that recognized it was in both Bracken and Pendleton Counties.|
|James Rule Klaber's piece on Hayes Station is here. (pdf)||History of the Boston Union Church is here. (pdf)|
|Near Cordova, where Grant, Pendleton and Harrison come together is an area known
as Crooked Creek. A site dedicated to the families there is here.
“A William Thornberry, who resides near Kincaid, in Pendleton County, has
struck gold on his place, and is preparing to sink a shaft. Several
chunks of a shining metal, supposed to be gold quartz, have already
been found, and the “gold fever” rageth in the neighborhood.”
From a Covington newspaper, The Ticket, August 22, 1876
| Ferriesville is situated four and a half miles west of Falmouth, with on saw and
grist mill, one wagon and blacksmith shop, and about five thousand
inhabitants, fifty-two of which are men, women and children. We
also have an empty dry goods store”
from Covington’s Daily Commonwealth, January 8, 1879.
|Our correspondent reports, from Schuler (Portland). Here.||“Portland. Our village has one store, one blacksmith shop, one school-house, and four dwelling houses.” from the Covington Daily Commonwealth, October 23, 1879|
Bowen's Farm Supply, Gardnersville, 1940's and 1976.
The news from Gardnersville, 1877, here.
The news from Gardnersville, 1879, here.
Lynching averted in Gardersville in 1922,
|“Gardnersville. This is a pleasant and business little village. To give a full description would occupy too much space. It has one large dry-goods store, owned by Fred. Helmich; two blacksmith shops, carried on respectively by Johnson and Clakekamp; one carriage shop, managed by J. F. Lindner; one grocery, first class barroom and hotel under the supervision of the hospitable T. B. Hightour; one physician, Dr. Allen Williams. He is a graduate of Ohio College, and has an extensive practice. We have a good school conducted by Miss. Lou. Hightour. B. F. Vallandingham is our local trader. He deals extensively in stock for which he pays liberal prices. Prof. Will Hughes, an excellent artist, is located here.” from the Covington Daily Commonwealth, November 12, 1879|
|Hayes Valley Distilling Co., Hayes, Ky, 1910||Sale just outside of Falmouth, 1913
from a Facebook post by Fran Carr
Every county used to have an Infirmary, usually known far and wide as “the poor house,” where they took in the aged, the sick, and those unable to work. from a post on Pinterest by Shelby Willis
|Levengood Railroad Station
Thanks to Sheryl Gruszka for this one.
A plat by Buck Seibert, from a post of the Pendleton
County Historical and Genealogical Society
|Pendleton County Historical and Genealogical Society offers this on the location and history of Levengood|
|Dr. G. W. McMillan,
Goforth, c. 1903
|Represented to us as Pendleton County
guys. If you can name any of them,
please drop us an email, here.
Peach Grove's D & A Grocery, 1976
|“Peach Grove. Items are scarce this week, and we will say a few words about our visit to Milford, Bracken county. We went via Lenoxburg, Berlin, and Powersville, and will say for the route that a better road for a buggy can not be found often.” from the Covington Daily Commonwealth, October 30, 1879|
|Representative Berry, of Kentucky, today requested the Post office Department to revoke, or at least to suspend, the order establishing the . . . Butler rural free delivery routes in Kentucky. Strong opposition from the patrons of . . . Ossipee and Mt. Auburn Post offices is responsible for Mr. Berry's request.“ Cincinnati Enquirer, April 8, 1900|
We have no idea where these were taken. Both are c.
1923. We know the image on the left is
“somewhere in Pendleton County,” and the one on the right is “between Falmouth and Cynthiana,” so
it may well be Harrison.