Milton United Methodist Church
On the 8th day of October, 1832, a few dedicated Christians, realizing the need of aplace to worship, bout from Daniel J. King and wife Hannah a tract of land near Milton, Ky. on what is known as Peck Pike for the sum of ($1.00) one dollar.
The men who represented this body of Methodists were Daniel Smith, Robert J. Young, Michael Maddox, and James Garner. On this tract of land was built Mt. Nebo Methodist Church. Trimble County was at that time part of Gallatin County.
In the early eighteen seventies, a group of Methodists from Mt. Nebo neighborhood (one from Hunter’s Bottom, and those living in town) decided a more centrally located church would serve all better. Mr. Oliver C. Strother from Mt. Nebo, George Fearn from Hunter’s Bottom, and J. R. Barclay from Milton were appointed to find a suitable place. On April 1, 1875, they purchased from David J. Vawter and Susan B. Vawter, his wife, a tract of land near the Ohio River in the town of Milton across the street from the present Milton Christian Church; but for some reason no church was ever built on that lot.
In 1866, a group of Presbyterians had purchased a tract of land near the Ohio River in the Eastern part of Milton near the Canip Creek from John and Frances Holstein for the sum of fifty dollars. There they built a frame church with a small belfry and tall colored glass windows. They worshipped in this church for fourteen years until the membership became so small that they sold this church to the Methodists trustees for a sum of $612.00, furnishings and all, in the year 1880.
It was in this building that the Milton Methodist Episcopal Church South was established and became a member of the Shelbyville Dist. in the year 1880. The first pastor was T. W. Barker with a membership of about eighty, including such names as Mrs. Julia Bayne, McCord’s, Strother’s, McIntire’s, Barclay’s, Pecar’s, Beabout’s, and Ewings’s.
Previous to the 1913 flood, the frame church was on its original foundation surrounded by a white picket fence. The flood did so much damage to the church that the congregation decided to raise the main floor above the water mark. The men who were the trustees at the time were: Jas. McIntire, J. P. Strother, and Willis Barth. The present foundation was put under the church and eventually the basement was made into classrooms.
In 1936, the church was redecorated inside and out. It was painted white on the outside, and the first evergreens and shrubs (a gift from Misses Mary and Ella Hampton) were planted around the front of the church.
In 1937, the worst and most disastrous flood of the Ohio Valley hit our church and reached the roof of the church, greatly damaging the church and destroying many of the records and furnishings. Repairs were made and again the church was made attractive and in good repair. The Baracca Sunday School class replaced the shrubs in front of the church.
On October 20, 1940, fate again struck our church, with fire. At the close of the morning worship conducted by Rev. O. S. Gardner, it was then discovered that the church was on fire due to a faulty flue caused by the flood. The furnishings of the church and basement were saved, but the church was a total loss. This brought great sorrow to all because the old church held dear memories to all.
After the fire, plans were immediately set in motion to rebuild. In the meantime, worship services were held in the public school building under the leadership of Rev. O. S. Gardner, Orville Adcock as chairman, and other trustees and officers. The new church was soon erected on the same concrete foundation. Much of the lumber came from a building men wrecked in the Hickory Grove community and moved down to be used in the rough part of the building. After many days of labor by the men of the church, we were back in the church the following April, of 1941. The exterior of this church was of red brick. The church was paid for by the following November, and Bishop U. V. W. Darlington dedicated the church shortly thereafter.
Then, in 1960, our church became too small for our members, and due to so many floods and high water the congregation decided to sell the church and try to build on the hill. A tract of land of three and two-tenths acres was purchased from Mrs. Carrie Snyder, located on Highway 421. Construction was begun on June 1, 1963, and we entered our new sanctuary in December 1963. The new building seats about 375 people and consists of eight classrooms, fellowship hall, pastors study, kitchen, nursery, rest rooms, utility rooms, and is air conditioned at a cost of $104,000.00.
This church was built under the leadership of the Rev. Allen Moran who was pastor at that time.
The Milton Methodist church held its opening date service for the new house of worship on January 5, 1964, at 2:30 pm. The guest speaker was Bishop Walter C. Gum.
Due to generous gifts, pledges, and various means, our debt at the end of 1965, was down to $41,000. Gifts from Mr. And Mrs. Emmett Hall paid for the fellowship Hall and the kitchen was given by the Hamptons.
There have been many projects and ways of making money to pay for the remaining debt such as, the Lord’s Acre, a sorghum making project, as well as pickle raising, and sales and many suppers.
1972 open house was held at the new parsonage, which was built by a gift from the McIntire Estate, of $28,140.66.
The church held the dedication service on Sunday, September 25, 1977. Special guests for the service included: Bishop Frank L. Robertson, Bishop to Kentucky Methodism, and District Superintendent, Tom Ditto, and former pastors and friends.
The Milton Methodist church is a progressive church and interested in spreading the gospel and doing the will of God at all times. Through flood, fire and other adversities may destroy our building; nothing can destroy the true church of Christ.
from History by Clara Poland, Lucille Ashby, Thelma McCord.