Walton Fire


On last Thursday about half past nine o'clock a.m., the alarm of fire sounded and the whole town population promptly responded.  The fire originated in a one-story frame south-east of the Short Line Depot, owned by Judge Youell and family.  The greater part of the household goods was saved by the prompt efforts of the citizens, but all his provisions, wearing apparel. and valuable library were destroyed.  Mrs. Youell, who some time since was paralyzed and unable to speak, was found sitting in a chair, enveloped in smoke.  It is evident that in only a few minutes she would have suffocated. The fire was caused, as usual, by a defective flue.  The house is a total loss; no insurance.  The prompt and energetic response of our citizens in cases of this kind deserves special mention, by no means forgetting the heroism of the women.


from Covington's Daily Commonwealth, March 20, 1883