Key to Map
1 Corner of Riverside Drive and Ferry Street.  General John Payne Home, c. 1792. Visited by President William Henry Harrison on his way to be inaugurated; birthplace of Laura Bradford Marshall, mother of George C. Marshall - "The Great Organizer;" site was used as a stop on the Underground Railroad.
2 325 W. Riverside Drive.  Victorian "Painted Lady," c. 1862
3 321 W. Riverside Drive.  Birthplace of Stuart Armstrong Walker
4 301 W. Riverside Drive.  T. S. and R. P. Hamilton (c. 1861).  Said to have had the first bathroom in Augusta.
5 211 W. Riverside Drive. Robert Schoolfield log school ( c. 1795)
6 209 W. Riverside Drive. Tom Broshear's Tavern, a log cabin in back (c. 1795), said to have been lodging for Simon Kenton.  The front section is believed to be the oldest three-story building in Kentucky.
7 205 W. Riverside Drive. Built by W. C. Marshall, grandfather of General George C. Marshall. (c. 1800)
8 203 W. Riverside Drive.  Robert Davis Home (c. 1797).  First Trustee of Augusta and the Bracken Academy.
9 201 W. Riverside Drive.  Home of Robert J. Mains and his parents (c. 1797), once owned by John Boude, who had first ferry rights to Boude's Landing, Ohio
10a 201 W. Second Street.  Judge J. R. Minor House.  Federal style house reportedly built in 1840 by a freed slave.
10b The Robert J. Maines Memorial Fountain and Garden
11 119 W. Riverside Drive.  c. 1797.
12 115 W. Riverside Drive.  c. 1797. Piedmont House with its famous Piedmont Doorway brought from Virginia.  Home of the Armstrong family and site of the first Methodist Society in America.  Later, Dr. Joshua Taylor Bradford, famous American surgeon of the 1800's lived here.
13 103 and 105 W. Riverside Drive.  An early example of fish-scale weatherboard.
14 101 W. Riverside Drive.  The James Armstrong Drug Store, fired on but not burned during Morgan's raid on Augusta, September 27, 1862.  Operated as the "Beehive Tavern and Restaurant.
15 Augusta Ferry.
16a 103 W. Second Street.  Front of building constructed in 1880.  Site of Gallenstein's Tavern.
16b 101 E. Riverside Drive.  Rotary Club Park with old C & O Railroad Caboose.
17 104 E. Riverside Drive.  Robert O'Neil Home.
18 108 E. Riverside Drive.  Old Bradford Hotel (c. 1862). Later home of Rosemary Clooney.
19 110 E. Riverside Drive.  Built by W. P. Taylor (c. 1862).  Became home of F. A. Neider Co., which manufactured parts for fine horsedrawn carriages.
20 202 E. Riverside Drive.  c. 1864.  This house replaced Tom Houk's Drug Store after Morgan's raid on Augusta.
21 206 E. Riverside Drive.  c. 1860. Thornton F. Marshall Home, Kentucky Senator who cast the deciding vote that kept Kentucky in the Union during the Civil War.
22 208 E. Riverside Drive.  (c. 1800). Vachel Weldin home (c. 1800). He was one of the first trustees of Augusta.
23 210 E. Riverside Drive. William Buckner Home (c. 1800). Son of Captain Phillip Buckner; he donated 1/2 of the land that now comprises Augusta.
24 216 E. Riverside Drive. During a 1950 restoration, several Indian graces were found in the basement of the house.
25 22 Riverside and Bracken Street.  Old Methodist Church (c. 1819).  Main building of the Prepatory Department of the Augusta College, 1822-1849.
26 401 E. Riverside Drive. The C. W. Patterson home.
27 Corner Second Street & Frankfort Street.  St. Paul's Methodist Church.
28 The Augusta College Campus encompassed the area between Bracken and Frankfort Streets from Riverside Drive to Third Street.
29 Augusta Independent School is the site of Augusta College, 1822-1849, first established Methodist College in the world.
30 Frankfort Street - Echo Hall, c. 1822.  An original Augusta College dormitory building.
31 210 Bracken Street. Dr. Joseph Tomlinson Home (c. 1822) while he was president of Augusta College.  His nephew was Stephen Collins Foster, author of "My Old Kentucky Home," visited here.
32 302 E. Third Street & Bracken Street. First Baptist Church (c. 1820),
33 211 E. Third Street. Abraham Baker's House, builder of the wine cellar located at the intersection of Highway 8 and 19.
34 203 E. Third Street. Built by Francis Wells (c. 1800).
35 301 Elizabeth Street. Bracken Academy Building, established in 1798, later merged and became Augusta College.
36 305 Elizabeth Street.  c. 1862.  The B. F. Powers Home.  Helped established the second largest tobacco market in the world at Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1862.
37 306 Elizabeth Street.  c. 1850. Built by R. W. Winters after the style of the early townhouses of North Carolina.
38 Second Street. Site of blacksmith's shop.
39 Third and Elizabeth Street. White Hall was the ancestral home of General George C. Marshall.  (c. 1800)
40 232 S. Main Street (c. 1850) Mains Grocery; and
228 S. Main Street (c. 1850) Old Ingles Hotel built by W. S. McKibbon.
41 307 Main Street.  Site of Berger's Tin Shop.  (c. 1830)
42 110 Third Street. This lot, on which the Leonard Whittmer home was built, is accredited as being the first lot sold after the organization of Augusta in 1797.
43 Augusta Public Square.  Site of the Bracken County Courthouse until 1839.  The old jail building was built in 1803.
44 202 S. Third Street.  Dickerson Morris home and jail. The first session of court was held in this house in 1796.
45 210 W. Third Street.  Dunbar Home, built by Awl Tatman, c. 1894.
46 Williams and Third Street. Sylvanus McKibbon House.  Oldest part built in early 1800's. front added in mid-1800;s.
47 102 E. Fourth Street (c. 1870).  Home of F. L. Cleveland, an attorney, and father of Ohio Justice Harlan Cleveland of Cincinnati.
48 308 S. Main Street.  Built by Vachel Weldin, an early trustee of Augusta, died in 1837.  He and his wife are buried in the garden of this house, with full grave markers.
49 313 S. Main Street. Knoedler Memorial Library.
50 105 E. Fourth Street.  Home of Walter Rankin, a noted author.
51 204 E. Fourth Street.  Tannery House (c. 1800).
52 302 E. Fourth Street. (c. 1790). George Doniphan House. Original house was constructed of logs.  George Doniphan was a lawyer, a professor at the Augusta College, father of Judge Joseph Doniphan and operator of a tannery to the west of the house.
53 301 E. Fourth Street.  Home of Judge Joseph Doniphan, built around 1856.
54 311 Bracken Street.  First building of the Christian Church, established here in 1840.
55 213 E. Fourth Street.  Built by J. A. Powers (c. 1867).
56 308 E. Fourth Street. On time home of Nick and Nina Clooney.
57 Payne Cemetery, off Route 8, Civil Ware and Revolutionary War graves.