Samuel Hannaford & Sons, Architects



music hall

Music Hall, Cincinnati







City Hall, Cincinnati








Court House, Terre Haute







terre haute


Union Depot, Terre Haute





The Hannafords

















SAMUEL Hannaford is of English birth, and came to Cincinnati at the age of nine years. He learned architecture with J. H. Hamilton. For the first year or two after acquiring his profession he was associated with others, but for twenty years or more was alone in the business, until he associated his sons, Harvey E. and Charles E., with him, establishing the present. firm of Hannaford & Sons. There are few if any men who have left a stronger or better impress on the architecture of Cincinnati and surrounding cities than Mr. Hannaford. Among the leading specimens of his skill, and later of Samuel Hannaford & Son, may be mentioned the Cincinnati, Hamilton, & Dayton Passenger Depot, the Cincinnati Work House, the Cincinnati Music Hall, the "Grand Hotel," the I. O. O. F. Temple, the City Hall, the new Western Methodist Book Concern building, the Phoenix Club, the St. Paul, the Mitchell, the H & G Feddar, the Times-Star, the J. B. Specker, the Frank J. Jones, and the Block-Seasongood-Hoope-Jones buildings. Mr. Hannaford was the resident architect of thee splendid Government building, and superintended the work on it during the eleven years of its erection. Among many other fine buildings he planned and erected the residence of Alex. McDonald, Esq., at Clifton; that of the Hon. John E. Bell, and also that of Capt. George M. Stone, as well as a large number of other blocks and residences in Cincinnati equally fine and imposing. The professional skill of the firm is in demand from Cleveland on the north In Nashville and Chattanooga on the south. and from central West Virginia to Illinois. The splendid courthouse at Terre Haute, costing a million and a half; the Union Depot, and the Rose Orphan home at Terre Haute all owe their architectural work to this Cincinnati firm. They are also architects for the new City Hall. Both the junior members of the firm received their education at the Chickering academy. Harvey E. completed a course at the Boston Institute of Technology after leaving Chickering, while Charles K. went from here into his father’s office.

Other Cincinnati Buildings designed by Hannaford include:

Alms & Doepke department store building, 22 W. Central Parkway,
Over-the-Rhine (1888)

Cincinnati City Hall, 801 Plum St., Downtown (1887-1893)

Cincinnatian Hotel (originally the Palace Hotel), 601 Vine St., Downtown (1882)

Cincinnati Observatory, 3489 Observatory Place, Mount Lookout (1873)

George B. "Boss" Cox mansion (Parkview), 3400 Brookline Ave., Clifton (1895)

Elsinore arch, entrance to Eden Park (1883)

Lombardy Apartments, 322 W. Fourth St., downtown (1881)

Mary A. Wolfe House, 965 Burton Ave., Avondale (1906)

Memorial Hall, 1225 Elm St., Over-the-Rhine (1908)

Music Hall (designed by Hannaford & Procter), 1243 Elm St.,
Over-the-Rhine (1878)

The Phoenix, 812 Race St., downtown (1893)

St. George Church, 42 Calhoun St., Clifton Heights (1873; damaged by fire, February 2008

More than 1,000 buildings of various architectural styles, most of
them in Cincinnati, were associated with the Hannaford name, and there are 62 Samuel Hannaford & Sons structures in Hamilton County on the National Register of Historic Places.