History of Gallatin County, Part 35
Methodist Met in Members Homes
In the Early Days Before the First Church Was Built in Gallatin County
Minister Assigned in 1884
Hopes of many long years is realized in 1902
When Fine New Building Is Erected Following Campaign
We are indebted to Mrs. Ed Lamkin for the data concerning Warsaw M. E. Church.
The Charter members of the Methodist Church in Warsaw were Mr. and Mrs. Enoch Kirby, Capt. J. H. McDanell and wife, Dr. John T. Robinson and wife, Dr. Robinson's mother, Mrs. Lydia Craig. For a time the meetings were held in the homes of the members, then they purchased the lower room of what is now the negro Missionary Baptist Church. The first minister assigned on 1844. This first pastor was Larkin F. Price.
In 1868, when the present Christian Church was built, their old church was sold to the town for a school building. Soon after, the town sold it to the Methodists, who worshipped in this small one room brick building for years, while hoping and planning for something better, until in 1900 there came to the Warsaw church a young pastor whose name was W. G. Crom, who with his wife, led the church in a building campaign.
This campaign was so successful that in two years the old building had been torn down and a beautiful new building or pressed brick stood in its place [Deed Book 4, p 576].
This church was built at a cost of ten thousand dollars and is a beautiful building, The ceiling of the auditorium is of solid quarter-sawn oak and the windows are art glass. The faithful and heroic little group of charter members have not been forgotten and one of these art glass windows has been placed in memory of each of the seven.
In 1888 or 1889 Capt. J. H. McDanell gave to the Methodist church a three acre lot and on this a substantial two story frame parsonage which has been the home of pastors of this church ever since [deed book 9, page 260].
Concord Baptist Church, however, is one of the older churches of the county and the charter members were largely drawn from Ten Mile. We are told that the first building of Paint Lick Baptist church was a small log building with one door and four windows. The present frame church at Paint Lick was built in 1890 and does not stand where the little log church stood.
undated, thought to be from the Gallatin County News