A pleasant village, and the capital of Gallatin county, situated on a beautiful bottom of the Ohio river, 50 miles below Cincinnati, 85 miles above Louisville, and about 50 miles north from Frankfort. It was established in 1831, and formerly called Fredericksburg.  The surrounding country is hilly, but very productive of wheat, corn and tobacco, and also abounds with fine timber.  It has considerable trade, and exports a large quantity of produce and tobacco.  The village contains the county buildings, four Protestant churches, one Masonic lodge (Tadmore, no. 108), one Lodge (I. O. O. F., no. 39), one steam flouring mill, three hotels, eight or ten general stores, two druggists, and five groceries, three physicians, five attorneys, two magistrates, three carpenters, two blacksmiths, one beef and pork packer, two boot and shoe makers, one cabinet maker, two carriage and wagon makers, two coopers, one dentist, one distiller, two saddle and harness makers, one jeweler, two painters, one plow maker, three stone and brick masons, one tinner, one surveyor, one tailor, and two wine and liquor dealers.  Population 800.  Post office established in 1824.
Nathaniel F. Cromwell, postmaster

Business Directory

Abbett, H. J. county attorney
Allen & Tryman livery stable proprietors
Bacon, John M. marshal
Baldwin, H. Owen House proprietor
Baldwin, Hiram county clerk
Baxter, J. W. dentist
Blackmore, T. M. general merchant
Brett, William blacksmith and plow maker
Brown, Walter Commercial Hotel proprietor
Brown, W. C. justice of peace
Chesler, Nicholas carriage and wagon maker
Carr, R. M. J. jailor
Clore, H. P. general merchant
Commercial Hotel Walter Brown, proprietor
Cox, Samuel painter
Cox, William L. cooper
Craig, William stove and tin ware dealer
Cromwell, Nathaniel F. postmaster
Danley, James cooper
Farris, C. W. physician and surgeon
Furnish, J. J. C. attorney at law
Ginn, D grocer
Graves, Lorenzo attorney at law
Graves, Lorenzo county judge
Grigsby, J. W. grocer
Guinea, Robert saddle and harness maker
Hanna, P. P. physician and surgeon
Hughes, M. C. sheriff
Jenkins, William mason and builder
Johnson, Moses real estate and land agent
Kirby and Cromwell steamboat agents
Landrum, John attorney at law
Leebree, H. tailor
Lineback, T. M. saddle and harness maker
Logan, Benj. wine and liquor dealer
Long House James Redman, proprietor
McDanell, J. H., steam and flouring mill proprietor
Moore, J. T. grocer
Moores, William mason and builder
Murdock, C. C. grocer, and carpenter and builder
Odd Fellows Lodge No. 39
Oliver, J. W. gunsmith
Owen House J. Baldwin, proprietor
Peak, Irvin general merchant
Peak, Willis beef and pork packer and dealer
Peebles, Delworth druggist
Prein & Spencer distillers and rectifiers
Powell, R. D. physician and surgeon
Redman, James Long House, proprietor
Redman, Willis wine and liquor dealer
Ritchey, Alexander boot and shoe maker
Robinson, Jon T. attorney at law
Russell, Robert watch and clock dealer, and jeweler
Scarborough E. W. druggist
Spencer, P. H. police judge
Stodgill, Martin mason and builder
Taaffe, William carriage and wagon maker
Tadmore Lodge No. 108, Masonic
Turpin, H. H. surveyor and civil engineer
Tyson, Jonathon justice of the peace and painter
White, P. H. boot and shoe maker, and dealer
Williams, J. W. grocer
Williams, Julius carpenter and builder
Wilshire, Joseph blacksmith 
Winters, A. M. cabinet maker and furniture dealer
Winters, W. H.
carpenter and builder

From George W. Hawes’ Kentucky State Gazetteer and Business Directory, for 1859 and 1860