The Needham House

Located on Main Street in Williamstown, KY, Tim Needham built this house next to the future site of the Williamstown Baptist Church.

From a biography published in the Williamstown Courier in 1901: “There are few men in Grant County who were not born on her soil who are better known or more universally liked than Tim Needham. He is a man of property and character, a lawyer of ability and a businessman above and beyond reproach.”

Mr. Needham was a Lawyer, Teacher, Bank Cashier, State Representative, State Senator, and investor. He was also on the Board of Trustees of Kentucky Wesleyan College. He was born on May 28th, 1842 in Cumberland County, Illinois, and moved to Williamstown in 1878. In 1882, he was elected the cashier of the Bank of Williamstown, a position that he held for over 16 years. He married the youngest daughter of E.H. Smith, Miss Kate Smith, on October 31st, 1878.

They had one son, Mr. Hubbard S Needham, who would eventually sell the Needham House and property to the Williamstown Baptist Church on January 1, 1959, which they then used as an educational annex of the church. Many who are alive today remember attending Sunday School in some of the 14 rooms of the Needham House as young children.

Hubbard S. Needham donated the Horse-Mounting Block in front of the house to the Grant County Fiscal Court, where it still sits today in front of the newer addition of the Court House.


from a Facebook post by the Grant County Historical Society