Better known as Canton Station, a village of 140 inhabitants, settled in 1856, and situated on Licking river, and on the K.C.R.R., in the eastern part of Kenton county, 5 1/2 miles from Independence, 14 from Covington and 124 from Louisville. It contains a saw and grist mill, Union church and district school. Its exports are corn, barley, tobacco and fruits. Telegraph, Western Union. Express, Adams. Daily mail. F.P. Caldwell, postmaster.
Burnside, W.B., general store.
Caldwell, J.J., insurance and station agent.
Caldwell, F.P., General Store and express agent.
Crail, JM., cooper.
Finnell, Gen., John W., lawyer.
Francis, J.A., physician.
Holmes, T.F., carpenter.
Kenady, E.R., blacksmith.
Mason, M., General Store.
Mauer, T.T., tobacconist.
Mulvey, John B., carpenter.
Simmons, J.J., teacher.
Stevenson, B.F., Physician.
Temple, James M., saw and grist mill.
Threlkeld, Wm., physician.
Wright, Rev. J.E., (methodist).
This info is from the Kentucky State Gazetteer and Business Directory, published in 1876-77 by R. L. Polk in Louisville.