St. Matthew Mission
The establishing of the church at White Villa was brought about through the efforts of William T. Hohnhorst, Ben Eilerman, and F.D. Anthe. These men conceived the idea of having the church built, and made the necessary contacts with the various donors, who contributed the necessary money, materials, and labor for its erection. It was the original plan that this church would be erected on the grounds of the White Villa Club. However, J.M. Armstrong, at that time the owner and operator of Kenton Lakes, requested that it be built between White Villa and Kenton Lakes, so that it would also benefit the Catholics who spent weekends at his fishing grounds.
The cornerstone of the church was laid by Bishop Maes in 1908. The church was dedicated on June 9, 1909, by Bishop Maes, under the patronage of St. Matthew.
St. Matthew Mission was attached to Assumption Parish at Morning View. The first priest to serve this mission church was Reverend Joseph Haustermann, pastor of Morning View from 1909 to 1915.
Although previously regarded merely as a summer chapel, at present Father Aloysius L. Griesinger offers Sunday Mass at St. Matthew Mission throughout the entire year.
excerpted from History of the Diocese of Covington, Kentucky, on the Occasion of the Centenary of the Diocese, 1853-1953 by Rev. Paul E. Ryan